Apple pie cookies have all of the elements of apple pie, however in cookie type! My recipe makes use of a do-it-yourself apple pie filling and even consists of an non-compulsory “a la mode” ornament. Recipe features a how-to video!
Apple Pie in Cookie Type
These apple pie cookies are gourmand cookies impressed by basic apple pie! They’re enjoyable to make (a course of, however a worthwhile one!) and can be a very distinctive and welcomed addition to your Thanksgiving dessert desk.
These apple pie cookies have:
- Flavorful cookie base (similar to what I exploit for my espresso cake cookies) that’s fastidiously designed to not be too candy or wealthy.
- Genuine apple pie filling! The filling does should be cooked on the range first; I discuss extra about this beneath.
- Crumbly, buttery streusel topping produced from my straightforward streusel recipe that requires NO pastry cutter (anybody else completely hate that factor?)!
- Easy vanilla glaze and lovely buttercream ice cream scoops (!!) 🤩
Okay, technically the glaze and “ice cream” are non-compulsory, however aren’t they enjoyable? You might anticipate the “ice cream” to be too candy to be palatable (particularly when you see how a lot sugar goes into it), however, virtually weirdly, it’s not. It’s largely only for present, however truthfully, it really tastes good, too! For those who don’t really feel like doing each, I’d advocate at the very least doing the glaze.
YES, there are various elements to this recipe and a number of steps, however these cookies are such a enjoyable challenge that I actually loved making. I hope you’re keen on them too!
What You Want
You want fairly just a few elements to make these apple pie cookies (15 to be precise, in case you make the glaze and ice cream too!), however most are pantry staples.
- Apples. We’re primarily making an apple pie filling (if it appears acquainted, it’s as a result of it’s carefully tailored from my superb apple turnovers) for the facilities. A agency, tart apple, like Granny Smith, works greatest right here, they maintain their form properly with out changing into mushy or too weepy and hold the cookie from being too candy. Precooking the apples works greatest, since uncooked apples don’t change into comfortable sufficient or yield sufficient taste (even after being baked within the cookies).
- Brown sugar. I exploit gentle brown sugar in almost each part of those apple pie cookies! For those who don’t have any readily available or run out throughout baking, learn my publish on tips on how to make brown sugar.
- Cornstarch. This thickens our filling. I additionally use some within the cookie dough to stop the cookies from spreading an excessive amount of and to maintain them good and comfortable.
- Butter. We’ll use softened unsalted butter for the cookies and melted (sure, melted!) butter for the streusel. Not like conventional recipes, my streusel recipe comes collectively in seconds, no pastry cutter required. That is all due to melted butter!
- Vanilla. I exploit common vanilla extract within the cookie dough and vanilla bean paste within the glaze and “ice cream” scoops. The paste has little flecks of vanilla beans, which makes the buttercream scoops look much more like real-deal ice cream. For those who don’t have vanilla bean paste, common vanilla extract will work simply fantastic!
SAM’S TIP: For those who overlook to set your eggs out forward of time, allow them to sit in a bowl of heat water for 10-Quarter-hour. It will carry them to room temperature rapidly.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
Tips on how to Make Apple Pie Cookies
Apple Pie Filling
- Stir collectively the apples, sugar, butter, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a pan over medium-low warmth. As soon as the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved, improve the warmth to medium and let the combination come to a simmer.
- Proceed simmering for five minutes, stirring often. Take away from the warmth as soon as the apples are tender, then pour right into a heatproof bowl. Switch to the fridge to chill whilst you make the cookie dough.
- Cream collectively the butter and sugars till gentle and fluffy.
- Stir within the eggs and vanilla till mixed.
- Whisk the dry elements collectively in a separate bowl.
- Steadily add the dry elements to the moist elements till fully mixed, then cowl and place the dough within the fridge to relax.
- Mix the flour, sugars, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl, then drizzle the cooled melted butter overtop.
- Claw/toss the combination collectively with a fork till it’s clumpy. Don’t work it collectively an excessive amount of or you’ll create a paste.
- Roll the dough. Scoop about 2 Tablespoons and roll between your palms till clean. Indent the facilities of every cookie utilizing the again of a cookie scoop.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling into every indentation.
- Press about 1 tablespoon of streusel (I simply do a small handful) over the filling, ensuring to fully cowl it.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes at 350F or till the perimeters flip a lightweight golden brown. Let the cookies cool fully earlier than adorning, they’ll be a bit fragile after they’re heat.
SAM’S TIP: When indenting the cookies, don’t press too far. If the underside of the indent is just too shallow, then the the filling might change into too heavy for it and fall by way of the underside.
- Cream the butter, salt, and vanilla till clean, then progressively add the sugar ½ cup at a time. Wait till every addition is totally included earlier than including the following.
- Examine the frosting consistency: it ought to be a stiff, rollable dough that’s virtually like play dough. If it’s not, add extra powdered sugar.
- Whisk collectively the glaze, then drizzle it over your cookies.
- Add a 1 tablespoon sized scoop of the buttercream over the glaze. Let the glaze harden, then take pleasure in!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
You possibly can, however why would you?
Alright, alright! I perceive, every part can’t at all times be from scratch and I don’t see why store-bought wouldn’t work right here.
However for the document, I like to recommend making your personal. Do-it-yourself may have one of the best taste and sweetness degree, whereas store-bought could possibly be inconsistent or simply approach too candy. For those who should use the premade sort, pinky-promise me you’ll strive it someday sooner or later from scratch and observe that you will want about 1.5 cups of pie filling.
Sure! Every part of those cookies (besides the vanilla glaze) might be made and saved upfront. The pie filling might be saved within the fridge in a sealed container for 3 days, the dough might be coated and saved within the fridge for 3 days, the streusel might be saved in a sealed container at room temperature for (you guessed it) 3 days, and the buttercream might be saved in a sealed container at room temperature for two days or within the fridge for at the very least every week. Word that the buttercream will get very stiff within the fridge, so I’d advocate scooping/rolling it earlier than chilling.
I don’t see why not! You possibly can strive utilizing any of the fillings from my hand pies; simply be certain that to let it cool earlier than including it to the cookies. Beware that any fillings which can be significantly juicy/moist might trigger the cookie to change into soggy.
So there you will have it. Apple pie cookies are the most recent, Fall-infused addition to my rising gourmand cookie assortment.
For those who’re having fun with these barely outrageous cookies, let me know what others you’d wish to see (and take a look at my blueberry muffin cookies and strawberry cheesecake cookies within the meantime!).
Get pleasure from! -Sam
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! For those who do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Apple Pie Cookies
Servings: 24 servings
Buttercream “ice cream”
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Mix apples, sugar, butter, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a medium sized skillet over medium-low warmth. Stir often till butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
3 cups (350 g) cored, peeled, diced apples, ¼ cup (50 g) gentle brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons (28 g) butter, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
Improve warmth to medium and produce to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes, stirring often, till apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
Take away from warmth and pour right into a heatproof bowl. Place within the fridge whilst you put together the dough.
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put aside.
Mix softened butter and sugars in a big bowl and use an electrical mixer (or a stand mixer with paddle attachment) to beat till gentle and fluffy.
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar, 1 cup (200 g) gentle brown sugar
Add eggs and vanilla and stir till mixed.
2 massive eggs, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate, medium-sized bowl whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt
Steadily add dry elements to moist, stirring till fully mixed.
Cowl bowl with plastic wrap and place within the fridge to relax barely whilst you put together the streusel.
Soften butter in a small bowl and permit to chill till now not heat to the contact.
6 Tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter
Mix flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon in medium-sized bowl and stir till mixed.
1 ¼ cups (155 g) all-purpose flour, ½ cup (100 g) gentle brown sugar, ⅓ cup (65 g) granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Drizzle cooled butter into flour combination and claw along with a fork till you will have a clumpy streusel.
Take away apple filling and cookie dough from fridge.
Scoop dough by 2 Tablespoon-sized balls and roll till clean. Place on baking sheet and make an indent within the cookie (I used the again of the cookie scoop to make indent – don’t push too deep or make the cookie too skinny or the cookie received’t be capable to assist the load of it after baking)).
Scoop a degree Tablespoon of filling into the indent you simply created
Take a small handful of streusel (about 1 Tablespoon) and nestle gently into the filling. Use sufficient to fully cowl the filling.
Switch to heart rack of 350F (175C) oven for 13-14 minutes or till edges start to show a lightweight golden brown. Enable to chill fully earlier than adorning with glaze and “ice cream” (beneath, if utilizing).
Buttercream “ice cream”:
Beat butter, salt, and vanilla in massive bowl utilizing an electrical mixer till butter is clean.
½ cups (113 g) unsalted butter, ⅛ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, ready till every cup is totally combined earlier than including extra. As soon as completed, the buttercream ought to be very stiff, virtually a play-dough like consistency. It ought to be straightforward to roll right into a ball. Add extra powdered sugar, if wanted, to succeed in correct consistency.
3 cups (375 g) powdered sugar
Put aside whilst you put together the vanilla bean glaze.
Whisk collectively powdered sugar with 1 Tablespoon of milk and vanilla bean paste till fully mixed. Add further milk, a splash at a time, till glaze is clean and ribbons off of your whisk.
1 cup (125 g) powdered sugar, 1-2 Tablespoons complete milk, ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Drizzle glaze on cookie. Scoop buttercream by one Tablespoon sized scoop and place on cookie, gently nestling onto the glaze (which is able to assist “cement” it).
Enable glaze to harden earlier than having fun with.
That is about 4 small apples for me. I like to recommend Granny Smith apples for greatest outcomes. They’re tart and agency and lend themselves properly to those cookies. Alternatively you could use one other tart, agency apple. Softer apples, like Mcintosh, aren’t supreme.
Don’t make the indentation within the cookie too deep, if there’s not sufficient cookie dough on the underside the cookie received’t be secure.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 3 days or within the fridge for as much as every week.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 16g | Saturated Fats: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 4g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 501IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.