This scrumptious baked pumpkin pasta recipe is a standard dish that captures the very essence of Italy’s love for seasonal components.
It’s good for these cozy nights whenever you crave a contact of Italy’s rustic attraction with out desirous to spend all day within the kitchen.
Pumpkin in Italy
In autumn/fall, Italian markets are stuffed with each edible zucca (Italian identify for pumpkin and squash) and people used for adornment. It’s not an Italian customized to hole out a pumpkin to make a Jack O’Lantern for Halloween, however many houses and eating places use decorative pumpkins so as to add an autumnal ‘nation’ feeling to a room or desk.
Pumpkins and squash are an essential ingredient within the Italian autumn kitchen and each are utilized in a myriad of recipes. Apparently, most Italian recipes name for ‘zucca’ with out specifying which sort. However, I assume, in lots of instances pumpkin or squash can be utilized.
In spite of everything, pumpkin is a kind of squash! Regardless of their recognition in America, I just lately learn that extra pumpkins are grown in Italy than USA! Italians use ‘zucca’ in soups, in risotto, as a facet dish and in desserts.
Pumpkin and pasta is a match made in heaven and pumpkins are used not solely in pasta sauces but additionally in fillings for pumpkin tortelli, ravioli and different stuffed pasta recipes, and to make pumpkin gnocchi.
Pasta and pumpkin recipes work finest with the sweeter forms of pumpkin/squash comparable to butternut squash, Calabaza squash, Kabocha squash, Italian zucca Mantovana, Delica pumpkins and zucca Marina di Chioggia, the final being one of the in style with Italian cooks.
- Pasta: The construction of penne holds sauces nicely, however be at liberty to switch it with one other sort of pasta comparable to Ziti or Trescatori.
- Pumpkin: Select a agency, recent pumpkin. You can even substitute pumpkin with butternut squash if desired.
- Zucchini (Courgettes): Go for zucchinis with a vibrant inexperienced hue which might be agency to the contact.
- Crimson Onion: This provides a gentle and barely candy taste. Crimson onions may also be substituted with yellow onions if wanted.
- Sage: Recent sage provides an earthy, fragrant taste that enhances the pumpkin completely.
- White Wine: Go for a dry variant. It helps in deglazing the pan and provides depth to the dish. In case you favor non-alcoholic choices, half the quantity of water or vegetable broth could be another.
- Cooking Cream: Panna di cucina in Italian. It’s just like heavy cream. This provides the sauce a wealthy texture. In order for you a lighter model, milk can be utilized.
- Recent Mozzarella: Guarantee it’s well-drained to keep away from extra moisture.
- Parmigiano Reggiano: Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano offers a wealthy, umami taste. If it’s not out there, Grana Padano is an acceptable substitute. Nevertheless, neither of those cheeses are vegetarian. If wanted use vegetarian parmesan as an alternative.
- Breadcrumbs: Whereas store-bought works nicely, do-it-yourself breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs can provide extra texture.
- Butter: Used to grease the oven dish, making certain your pasta doesn’t stick and has a slight buttery undertone.
Roasting Pumpkin: Roasting the pumpkin cubes till they’ve caramelized edges will deepen their taste, including a wealthy sweetness to the dish.
Sauce Consistency: When making ready the pumpkin sauce, goal for a barely thinner consistency than you assume you want. The sauce will thicken because it bakes, so beginning with a thinner sauce ensures the completed dish isn’t too dry.
Layering Significance: To realize the right mix of flavors in each portion, guarantee your layers within the pasta bake are evenly unfold out.
Baking Time: Some ovens are barely hotter then others. To get that golden-brown, crispy topping, preserve a detailed watch in your pasta bake, particularly over the past 5 minutes.
Step by Step Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C). Unfold pumpkin cubes on an oven tray.
2) Drizzle with further virgin olive oil, sprinkle with pepper and sage, and toss on the tray till the pumpkin is nicely coated. Place the tray within the oven and bake the pumpkin for 20-25 minutes.
3) Whereas the pumpkin is baking, warmth some further virgin olive oil over medium warmth in a skillet and sauté the onions till they soften. This could take round 4-5 minutes.
4) Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and proceed cooking till they develop into tender, about 7-8 minutes.
5) As soon as the pumpkin is baked, combine half of it with the zucchini and onions within the skillet. Add the white wine and simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
6) Utilizing a blender, puree the remaining half of the roasted pumpkin with the cream or milk till you obtain a easy sauce consistency.
Tip: Let the pumpkin cool barely earlier than mixing to cut back the prospect of the warmth curdling the cream.
7) Whereas the greens prepare dinner, carry a big pot of water to boil. As soon as boiling, salt the water after which add the pasta and prepare dinner to al dente in accordance with the packet’s directions. Earlier than draining, put aside a cup of the pasta water, then drain and return the pasta to the pot.
8) Pour the pumpkin sauce over the drained pasta, stirring to mix. Combine nicely and, if wanted, regulate the sauce consistency with the reserved pasta water.
9) Grease an oven dish with butter. Cowl the underside of the dish with a layer of pasta with pumpkin cream.
10) Add a portion of the skillet-cooked greens. Dot with mozzarella items and sprinkle some grated cheese over.
11) Proceed layering on this method then end with a breadcrumb sprinkle on high.
12) Bake in a preheated oven at 355°F (180°C) till the highest turns into golden and crispy, roughly 15-20 minutes. As soon as achieved, enable it to relaxation for about 5 minutes earlier than diving in.
Storage and Leftovers
Refrigerating: Let the pasta cool earlier than transferring it into an hermetic container or cowl the baking dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. It may be saved within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days.
Freezing: In case you’re planning to freeze leftovers, portion the baked pasta into particular person serving sizes in freezer-safe containers. This may make it simpler to reheat solely what you want later. The dish could be frozen for as much as 3 months.
Reheating: When able to eat, if reheating from the fridge, you need to use the oven or microwave. If utilizing the oven, preheat to 325°F (165°C), cowl the pasta with foil, and bake till heated by (about 20 minutes). For the microwave, reheat in 60 to 90 second intervals, stirring in between to make sure even heating. If reheating from frozen, it’s finest to first thaw in a single day within the fridge.
Extra Recipes You Might Like:
In case you do this baked pumpkin pasta recipe, do please let me know what you assume by commenting right here on the weblog or on The Pasta Project Facebook page. Your suggestions is far appreciated!
Buon urge for food!
Pin for Later:
If you’re thinking about studying tips on how to make do-it-yourself pasta and several types of gnocchi, try my store web page for some nice video on-line programs from my associates in Rome! Nothing beats studying to make pasta from Italians! Plus when you’re there why not order a replica of one in all my pasta recipe cookbooks or checkout some advisable pasta making instruments?