A basic turned the other way up, our scrumptious tackle this fruit-studded cream pie impressed by Erin Jeanne McDowell’s #mydreampie problem is completely bananas. Vanilla wafers are crumbled right into a fluffy meringue, which is piped right into a pie plate after which baked. The vanilla-scented meringue shell turns each crunchy and chewy—a flawless vessel for holding creamy home made vanilla pudding and fresh-cut banana slices. A particular shoutout to Rose Levy Beranbaum for this unimaginable meringue shell method.
Banana Pudding Meringue Pie
- 2 cups (480 grams) entire milk
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (32 grams) cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- 3 giant egg yolks (56 grams)
- 1 giant egg (50 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 3 giant agency ripe bananas (566 grams), sliced crosswise ¼ inch thick
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 grams) contemporary lemon juice
- Vanilla Wafer-Meringue Crust (recipe follows)
- 1⅓ cups (120 grams) roughly crushed vanilla wafers (32 to 34 wafers), divided
- 1 cup (240 grams) chilly heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (30 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: banana slices, vanilla wafers
- In a medium saucepan, warmth milk over medium warmth till steaming. (Don’t boil.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in egg yolks and egg till properly mixed. Steadily whisk half of heat milk into sugar combination. Pour sugar combination into remaining heat milk in pan, and produce to a boil over medium warmth, whisking consistently. Prepare dinner, whisking consistently, till thickened, combination now not tastes starchy, and an instant-read thermometer registers 185°F (85°C), about 3 minutes. Take away from warmth.
- Add butter to exploit combination in two additions, stirring till mixed; stir in vanilla bean paste. Pour and press combination by a fine-mesh sieve into a big bowl, smoothing into a fair layer. Cowl with a chunk of plastic wrap, urgent wrap straight onto floor of custard to stop a pores and skin from forming. Refrigerate till chilled, 3 to 4 hours or as much as in a single day.
- Stir chilled filling till easy. In a big bowl, gently stir collectively banana slices and lemon juice. Utilizing a small offset spatula, unfold one-third of filling (about 208 grams) in backside of Vanilla Wafer- Meringue Crust; sprinkle half of crushed wafers evenly on high, and canopy with a single layer of banana slices. Repeat layers as soon as, piling as excessive as wanted; cowl with remaining filling, smoothing into a fair layer. (Reserve any further banana slices for garnish.) Cowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat chilly cream and confectioners’ sugar at medium pace till medium-stiff peaks type. Spoon and unfold whipped cream combination on high of pie, leaving a ½ – to ¾ -inch border round edges. Garnish with bananas and entire wafers, if desired. Serve instantly.
Vanilla Wafer-Meringue Crust
- ½ cup (64 grams) plus 2½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) cornstarch, divided
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 5 giant egg whites (150 grams), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) contemporary lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon (4.5 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ⅓ cup (32 grams) very finely crushed vanilla wafers* (about 10 wafers)
- Preheat oven to 225°F (107°C). Evenly spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Place on a chunk of parchment paper.
- Utilizing a small fine-mesh sieve, mud ready pan with ½ cup (64 grams) cornstarch till utterly and generously coated.. Tip and maintain pan, as wanted, to assist coat sides. (It’s OK if cornstarch is piled in spots; no must shake out extra.)
- Within the heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk collectively sugar, egg whites, lemon juice, salt, and remaining 2 2½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) cornstarch by hand. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Prepare dinner, stirring regularly and scraping sides of bowl, till sugar utterly dissolves and an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C).
- Fastidiously return bowl to face mixer. Utilizing the whisk attachment, beat at excessive pace till stiff peaks type and bowl is cool to the contact, 10 to 12 minutes, including vanilla bean paste throughout final minute of blending. Fold in crushed wafers in two additions simply till mixed.
- Spoon about two-thirds of meringue combination (about 300 grams) right into a pastry bag fitted with a ½ -inch spherical piping tip (Wilton No. 2A). Beginning in middle, pipe meringue in a good, even spiral in backside of ready pan; ranging from backside edge and dealing upward, pipe meringue in rings round sides of pan.
- Spoon remaining meringue right into a pastry bag fitted with a medium open star tip (Wilton 1M). Pipe meringue decoratively round high fringe of pan as desired. (Be sure that your piping is supported beneath by meringue and/or fringe of your pan so meringue doesn’t sag whereas baking.) Use any remaining meringue to patch holes or skinny areas, smoothing with a small offset spatula, if needed.
- Bake till dry and agency to the contact, 1½ hours to 1 hour and 45 minutes. Flip oven off, and let meringue stand in oven with door closed for 1 hour. Let cool utterly in pan on a wire rack. (It’s OK if meringue floor cracks or falls barely.) Finest used similar day.
*To very finely crush, place vanilla wafers in a small resealable plastic bag. Utilizing a rolling pin, crush till wafers are floor into very high-quality crumbs.