That is the one caramel sauce recipe you’ll ever want! Make it thick to make use of as a filling or hold it skinny for drizzling over ice cream or cheesecake. Just some elements (and a bit of persistence) required!
Excellent Do-it-yourself Caramel
In case you’ve been following alongside for a short time, you is likely to be pondering: “Doesn’t Sam have already got a caramel sauce recipe?” And also you’re completely proper, I do! Nevertheless, that recipe–my fast & straightforward salted caramel sauce–isn’t truly a actual caramel by commonplace definition. It’s nonetheless extremely tasty although, and it’s the right quick and easy caramel for drizzling over brownie sundaes (yum).
As we speak’s recipe is a real caramel. It begins with a granulated sugar base (a trademark of actual caramel — like my home made caramel sweet!) that cooks slowly till it turns into a superbly golden and thick sauce that’s simply wonderful. The preparation is a bit completely different from my different recipe, however it’s nonetheless pretty fast and straightforward.
5 issues to learn about this recipe:
- Customizable consistency: use much less cream for a thick sauce or extra for a thinner sauce.
- Makes an awesome salted caramel: I embody directions on how a lot salt so as to add relying in your desire and supposed objective.
- Requires persistence: caramelization takes time! Don’t stroll away out of your range and don’t crank up the warmth to hurry issues up. Try to be used to this recommendation in case you’ve made any of my sweet recipes 😊
- Sweet thermometer required: I understand how intimidating it may be to whip certainly one of these out, however I promise this caramel is straightforward! Many recipes simply go by visible cues and scent, however I like utilizing a thermometer to be as correct as potential and so everybody will be profitable.
Earlier than we begin, let’s rapidly go over which model of this sauce it is best to make in your supposed use.
Thick VS. Skinny Caramel Sauce
The wonderful thing about my recipe is I embody an choice to make the caramel thicker or thinner, in keeping with your desire or recipe. A thicker caramel that might be used for caramelitas has been excessive on my record of requests.
The thicker choice makes use of much less cream and has a thick and chewy, taffy-like consistency that’s nice for dipping apple slices (however not making caramel apples–extra on this beneath). I’ve used this model for filling alfajores and macarons; nonetheless, at room temperature it should unfold and spill out, so it’s finest to nonetheless use a dam. I discuss utilizing this sauce for a cake within the FAQ part beneath.
The basic recipe, as written, continues to be fairly thick regardless of being the thinner of the 2. It would unfold and spill over any flat edge. I have a tendency to make use of it in desserts that must be refrigerated (like my salted caramel cheesecake–coming quickly!) because it’s simpler to chew and chew when chilly. Use this model for drizzling over ice cream, a slice of cake, or in your morning espresso.
What You Want
My caramel sauce makes use of basic caramel elements (sugar, butter, cream) plus a number of others for taste and correct consistency.
- Granulated sugar. Whereas my fast & straightforward salted caramel sauce recipe begins with brown sugar (that’s one of many issues that makes it so fast & straightforward!), we’re sticking with conventional granulated sugar immediately.
- Heavy cream: Your caramel will likely be thinner the extra cream you add. For this recipe and basic caramel sauce (finest for draping over ice cream or a slice of cheesecake), we use ½ cup (120ml) cream. Nevertheless, for a really thick, chewy caramel (however one which’s nonetheless viscous), you’ll be able to cut back to ¼ cup (60ml) heavy cream. Not like my different caramel recipe, this recipe provides the cream on the finish; I clarify the reasoning behind this in additional element beneath.
- Water. Water is critical to assist the sugar dissolve and warmth evenly. It additionally prevents crystallization.
- Corn syrup. That is optionally available, however I add corn syrup (not the identical factor as high fructose corn syrup!) to stop the sauce from turning grainy. Golden syrup may even work.
- Vanilla + salt. Each vanilla extract and salt improve the flavour of the caramel. Don’t skip both!
Additionally, you will want a sweet thermometer and, optimally, a pastry brush. We’ll be heating our caramel sauce to 340-345F (171-173C), so a sweet thermometer is a should right here (an on the spot learn is just not beneficial). We’ll use the pastry brush to scrub up any crystallization that happens whereas the sugar is dissolving.
SAM’S TIP: If you need a salted caramel sauce, use ½ teaspoon of salt. In case you simply need common caramel, use ¼ teaspoon.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
Make Caramel Sauce
- Stir collectively the sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt over medium low warmth till the sugar dissolves. Use a moist pastry brush to swipe away any sugar crystals that kind on the edges of the pot throughout this course of.
- Enhance the warmth to medium and let the caramel prepare dinner WITHOUT STIRRING till it reaches 340-345F (171-173C) and turns a caramel colour. This could take round quarter-hour–be affected person!
- Take away the caramel from the warmth and slowly drizzle within the cream whereas stirring. Be very cautious as you do that; there will likely be a lot of fizzing and bubbles!
- Stir within the butter one piece at a time, then add the vanilla and stir till integrated. Let cool earlier than utilizing and luxuriate in!
Including the cream on the finish vs. the start: Including the cream on the finish of the cooking course of is intentional! I do that as a result of it’s essential to first prepare dinner the sugar to the purpose of caramelization; throughout this course of, the warmth breaks down the sugar molecules and offers us the distinct caramel style and amber colour. If we added the cream firstly with the sugar, the sugar simply wouldn’t caramelize as successfully. Plus it could decrease the temperature of the sugar because it cooks. So including the cream on the finish is finest.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sadly even the thicker model of this caramel isn’t supreme for topping or filling a cake, because it’s nonetheless liable to leaking out and spilling over the sting, even with a dam.
Sadly this caramel (even the thicker model) won’t follow apples like a standard caramel apple would. In case you’d prefer to see a recipe for caramel apples, please let me know within the feedback beneath!
As a result of it accommodates cream, caramel sauce must be refrigerated. You’ll be able to retailer this sauce in an hermetic, sealed container within the fridge for as much as 2 weeks. You possibly can additionally freeze it for a number of months.
I developed the thicker model of this caramel sauce by request to be used in my caramelitas (that is the precise quantity wanted for that the recipe!). In case you plan to do that too, simply know that the caramel layer received’t be fairly as distinct and a few sinks to the underside, however it’s nonetheless a really tasty dessert, and it means you don’t have to make use of store-bought caramels!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe beneath! In case you do this recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
That is the one caramel sauce recipe you will ever want! Make it thick for filling cookies or hold it skinny for drizzling over sundaes or cheesecake. Simply 25 minutes to make!
Servings: 1 cup
Stop your display from going darkish
Be aware: melted sugar could be very sizzling, don’t contact the caramel till it’s cooled.
Mix sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt in a small saucepan. Cook dinner over medium-low warmth, stirring sometimes, till sugar is dissolved. If any sugar crystals kind on the edges of the pan, dip a pastry brush in water and use it to comb away any sugar crystals.
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, ¼ cup (60 ml) water, 2 Tablespoons mild corn syrup, ¼ – ½ teaspoon salt
Flip warmth to medium and prepare dinner with out stirring till combination turns caramel in colour (this may take about quarter-hour or so) and reaches a temperature of 340-345F (171-173C).
Take away from warmth and really slowly drizzle in cream whereas stirring. Combination will bubble lots, use warning.
½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
As soon as cream is integrated, stir in butter, one piece at a time, till combination is clean.
3 Tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter
Add vanilla and stir till integrated.
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Enable caramel to chill earlier than utilizing (except serving heat over ice cream, then simply let it cool till heat sufficient to eat).
Caramel could also be made with out corn syrup however is extra prone to prove grainy, which is why I like to recommend together with it. You possibly can additionally substitute golden syrup.
Cream/Making a Thick Caramel Sauce
For a thicker caramel sauce, it’s possible you’ll cut back the heavy cream to ¼ cup (60ml). This makes a chewier, taffy-like caramel that can be utilized for filling caramelitas or alfajores.
Serving: 1cup | Energy: 1618kcal | Carbohydrates: 237g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 78g | Saturated Fats: 49g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 20g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 225mg | Sodium: 651mg | Potassium: 137mg | Sugar: 238g | Vitamin A: 2799IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.