Braided and delightful, our Cinnamon-Pecan Babka is ideal for any time of day. Fragrant cinnamon brings attractive spice whereas buttery chopped pecans and lightweight brown sugar steadiness out the candy warmth.
- 2½ cups (313 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) on the spot yeast*
- ¼ cup (57 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ¼ cup (60 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water, divided
- ¼ cup (60 grams) complete milk
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 giant eggs (100 grams), room temperature and divided
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) firmly packed mild brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) floor cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (38 grams) chopped pecans
- Easy Syrup (recipe follows)
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk collectively 1 cup (125 grams) flour, granulated sugar, 1 ½ Teaspoons (4.5 grams) salt, and yeast by hand.
- In a small saucepan, warmth ¼ cup (57 grams) butter, ¼ cup (60 grams) water, milk, and vanilla over medium-low warmth till butter is melted and an instant-read thermometer registers 120º
- (49ºC) to 130ºF (54ºC). Add heat butter combination to flour combination. Utilizing the paddle attachment, beat at medium-low pace till mixed. Add 1 egg (50 grams), and beat till mixed. With mixer on low pace, step by step add 1½ cups (188 grams) flour, beating simply till mixed and stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- Swap to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium-low pace till a delicate, considerably sticky dough kinds, 5 to eight minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl and dough hook; add as much as remaining 2 tablespoons (16 grams) flour, 1 tablespoon (8 grams) at a time, if dough is simply too sticky. Prove dough onto a really frivolously floured floor, and form right into a clean spherical.
- Frivolously oil a big bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease high. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till doubled in measurement, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Prove dough onto a really frivolously ﬂoured floor, and gently press into an 8×6-inch rectangle. Loosely wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour or as much as in a single day.
- Spray an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting extra lengthen over sides of pan.
- In a small bowl, combine collectively remaining 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and remaining ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) salt.
- On a frivolously ﬂoured floor, roll dough right into a 13×10-inch rectangle (about ¼ inch thick). Utilizing a small offset spatula, unfold butter combination onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on each quick sides and one lengthy aspect. Sprinkle pecans on high, and press frivolously together with your fingers to ensure all the pieces adheres. Beginning with lengthy aspect reverse border, roll up dough, jelly roll type, and pinch seam to seal. Gently raise log at every finish, and stretch to 14 inches lengthy. Place seam aspect down, ensuring seam is off to at least one aspect as a substitute of in heart. Utilizing a pointy serrated knife, lower in half lengthwise. Flip halves lower aspect up, and place in an “X.” Twist high half of “X” twice; pinch ends, and tuck below. Repeat with backside half of “X.” Utilizing your fingers, place in ready pan, ensuring to maintain lower sides up and ends tucked. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till puffed, half-hour to 1 hour. (Dough ought to move the ﬁnger dent take a look at; see Notes.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively remaining 1 egg (50 grams) and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Utilizing a pastry brush, brush egg wash on high of dough.
- Bake till golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in heart registers 190°F (88°C), 50 to 55 minutes, overlaying with foil midway by means of baking to stop extra browning. Brush with Easy Syrup. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Utilizing extra parchment as handles, take away from pan, and let cool fully on a wire rack.
Notice: Last rise time will depend upon how lengthy dough is chilled. The longer the dough is chilled, the longer it’ll take to rise. When you suppose your dough has proofed, conduct the ﬁnger dent take a look at. Gently press your ﬁnger about ½ inch into the floor. It is best to be capable to watch the dough spring again barely however nonetheless present an indentation. If the dent disappears, the dough is underproofed and wishes extra time. If the indentation stays fully, it has overproofed, however don’t panic. Instantly pop it into the oven; the babka will nonetheless be nice!