This cornbread chili casserole takes a traditional hearty chili to the subsequent stage by topping it with buttery, crumbly cornbread, multi functional comforting dish. Chili and cornbread are every implausible on their very own, however they’re even higher collectively… like Sunday mornings and in a single day cinnamon rolls. This dish comes collectively simply, and you probably have an oven-safe skillet, it will possibly go from the range to oven in 1 pan. It’s versatile, as effectively—use the chili as a base in your favourite add-ins and most popular spice stage.
This dish is simply what the physician ordered when it’s chilly outdoors and also you’re craving one thing heat and nourishing. Thick, wealthy, and hearty, this cornbread chili casserole satisfies the style buds and warms you from the within out. It’s nice reheated the subsequent day, too!
I initially revealed this recipe in 2016, and I’ve made it a number of occasions each winter since. I now add just a little hen broth to assist skinny out the thick chili because it bakes, and just a little extra cumin and oregano. The recipe under displays that.
You’ll Love This Cornbread Chili Casserole
- Cornbread + chili, the proper combo, collectively in 1 pan. (Like biscuit pot pie!)
- Straightforward to make and prepared in 1 hour.
- Hearty and filling chili, filled with protein, greens, and a great deal of taste.
- Evenly candy, crumbly cornbread topping.
- No skillet? No drawback! You’ll be able to bake it in a casserole dish or giant dutch oven.
- Make-ahead pleasant, good for busy weeknights.
- Makes sufficient to feed a hungry group, or present your self with leftovers (for even busier weeknights)!
- Versatile, customizable recipe. See under.
This dish has the hallmarks of conventional chili, however you may change it up to fit your preferences, desired spice/warmth stage, and/or dietary necessities. For instance, change the bottom turkey with beef, hen, a plant-based choice, or use extra beans; swap kidney beans for an additional kind; and experiment with spices. However you should definitely embody the chili’s key flavor-makers: oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
I admire the flexibility of a recipe that has so many choices to go well with many tastes (like this quiche, for instance). Experiment a couple of occasions to find your favourite model.
Key Chili Components & Attainable Substitutions
- Protein: I take advantage of lean floor turkey, however you should utilize floor hen or beef as a substitute. See recipe Notice for a vegetarian choice.
- Greens: Chopped onion, jalapeño, and inexperienced bell pepper give this chili plenty of taste, and work collectively as the bottom of the dish. Be happy to make use of one other coloration bell pepper and/or miss the jalapeño. You can too add 1 peeled and chopped candy potato, about 1 cup, whenever you cook dinner these greens.
- Tomato Sauce & Canned Diced Tomatoes: You need to use canned or do-it-yourself tomato sauce—if utilizing canned, you want 2 8-ounce cans. You additionally want a can of diced tomatoes.
- Beans: I take advantage of traditional crimson kidney beans on this recipe, however black beans, pinto beans, or cannellini beans work as effectively.
- Hen Broth: Simply 1/2 cup of broth retains the chili from changing into too dry because it bakes within the oven. Be happy to make use of vegetable broth as a substitute, and in the event you don’t have both, water works (however you’ll lose just a little taste).
- Herbs and Spices: Equal quantities of dried oregano, chili powder, and cumin create that traditional chili taste; I don’t suggest leaving any out. This recipe is ideal for these of us who get pleasure from a teeny kick of fireplace in chili. However in the event you like super-spicy chili, just a little extra jalapeño and chili powder will do the trick. Style as you go and alter if desired.
- Brown Sugar: This ingredient is a MUST. You don’t want a lot, however the small quantity balances out the salty, spicy, savory flavors in every single place else.
This Is a 1-Pan Meal
You’ll cook dinner the chili on the range earlier than topping together with your cornbread batter and baking. An oven-safe skillet is good, as a result of you may cook dinner the chili, prime it with cornbread batter, and switch it to the oven. (Although you do want a mixing bowl to prep the cornbread topping.)
A 12-inch ovenproof skillet that holds about 3.5–4 quarts is the proper dimension for this recipe. Here is the one I own and love. It’s strong, hefty, and has lasted years with common use. For those who don’t have a skillet this dimension, don’t fear. Merely cook dinner the chili on the range in a big pot or saucepan, after which switch it to a evenly greased casserole dish that holds not less than 3.5–4 quarts, akin to a 9×13-inch baking dish.
You may additionally cook dinner the chili on the range in a large dutch oven, unfold the cornbread topping on, and bake proper within the dutch oven.
Begin your chili on the range. The complete directions are under, however listed here are some images to information you alongside. The chili takes solely about 25 minutes on the range.
Combine the Cornbread Topping Collectively in 1 Bowl
After cooking the chili on the range (or whereas it’s simmering), whisk the components for the cornbread topping collectively. Right here’s what you want:
- Cornmeal & Flour: Similar to on this cornbread recipe, equal components positive cornmeal and flour makes the BEST cornbread—a lot of taste and a crunchy edge.
- Baking Powder: This provides the batter just a little elevate within the oven, so the cornbread bakes up good and tender.
- Butter: Melted butter provides this cornbread topping the most effective taste. Whereas oil makes a young cornbread, it will possibly lack taste. Since butter doesn’t make cornbread as moist as oil, I pair it with buttermilk.
- Salt & Brown Sugar: Taste enhancers. I like a touch of sweetness in my cornbread—with out turning it into cake.
- Egg: 1 egg binds the topping collectively.
- Buttermilk: You’ll be able to simply use entire milk if that’s what you’ve gotten, however buttermilk makes desserts, muffins, and breads further moist.
- Corn: Together with corn within the topping is elective, however provides very good taste and texture.
Bake till the cornbread is golden brown, about 30–35 minutes.
Reader Wendy commented: “This recipe is wonderful and my household loves it! Earlier than I bake it, I dot the cornbread combine with some chopped jalapeños and crimson peppers. It makes it look so fairly and provides the cornbread a slight chunk. ★★★★★”
Reader Hannah commented: “Simply needed to remark and say I’ve efficiently made this twice with gluten-free flour (cup4cup as soon as and a do-it-yourself mix as soon as) and each occasions it got here out nice! It’s such an excellent chili and cornbread recipe. ★★★★★”
This cornbread chili casserole is scrumptious served heat together with your favourite chili toppings, akin to shredded cheese, bitter cream, avocado, and/or chopped inexperienced onions. I often serve it with a crunchy inexperienced salad on the aspect, and dinner is finished!
On this hearty and satisfying dinner recipe, you may get pleasure from 2 in 1: cornbread served on prime of turkey (or beef) chili. The whole lot is cooked in the identical pan.
- In a big ovenproof skillet that holds 3.5–4 quarts, akin to this 12-inch skillet, warmth the oil over medium warmth for 1 minute. Add the bottom turkey, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic. Sauté till meat has cooked by, breaking apart with a spoon because it cooks, about 10 minutes. Stir in the remainder of the chili components, after which scale back to medium-low warmth. Cowl and simmer for quarter-hour.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Whisk all the cornbread components collectively in a big bowl, together with the elective corn. Take away the chili from warmth and unfold the cornbread batter on prime.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30–35 minutes or till the cornbread is golden on prime and cooked by.
- Spoon into bowls or onto plates and serve heat with elective toppings.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 1 week. I often spoon all of it right into a reusable container. Reheat in a skillet over medium warmth, or within the microwave as desired.
- Make Forward Directions: If you wish to get began forward of time, put together the chili as much as 24 hours prematurely, cowl, and refrigerate. Then, set it out at room temperature as you preheat the oven and put together the cornbread batter. Unfold cornbread batter on prime and bake as directed. Baked and cooled casserole freezes effectively as much as 3 months. Thaw at room temperature, then cowl and bake at 300°F (149°C) for 15-20 minutes or till warmed by.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 12-Inch Skillet and Glass Mixing Bowls
- Different Pan to Use: A 12-inch ovenproof skillet that holds about 3.5–4 quarts is the proper dimension for this recipe. Here is the one I own and love. For those who don’t have a skillet this dimension, merely cook dinner the chili on the range in a big pot or saucepan, after which switch it to a evenly greased casserole dish that holds not less than 3.5–4 quarts, akin to a 9×13-inch baking dish. You may additionally cook dinner the chili on the range in a large dutch oven, unfold the cornbread topping on, and bake proper within the dutch oven.
- To Make Vegetarian: For a vegetarian choice, change the meat with a plant-based floor meat various, or skip this and add an additional can or two of beans whenever you add the kidney beans. And/or add 1 peeled and chopped candy potato (about 1 cup) in step 1 whenever you add the bell pepper.
- Beans: I take advantage of crimson kidney beans on this recipe, however black beans, pinto beans, or cannellini beans work as effectively.
- Hen Broth: Simply 1/2 cup of broth retains the chili from changing into too dry because it bakes within the oven. Be happy to make use of beef or vegetable broth as a substitute, and in the event you don’t have both, water works (however you’ll lose just a little taste).
- Is This Spicy? Mildly spicy. However in the event you like super-spicy chili, just a little extra jalapeño and chili powder will do the trick. Style as you go and alter if desired.
- Impressed by Food Network
Key phrases: cornbread chili casserole