Guys, it’s too sizzling. The ‘maintain my beer’ power of August after July was declared the most well liked month within the historical past of the planet is admirable, however horrible. It’s too sizzling to drive to TJ Maxx and purchase a pumpkin scented candle. And even when I did, it’s too sizzling to have a candle burning in my home. Please, a reside fireplace? In a home the place I have already got to shut all of the curtains and run a fan in each room? Completely not. And what about my seasonal re-watch of The Gilmore Ladies? That’s to be carried out in cozy pjs underneath a blanket, not wiping away boob sweat in a rayon caftan while fanning myself with a Dell Applied sciences hand fan somebody gave me at Delight.
Wherever these hyperlinks discover out at this time, I hope you’re staying cool.
• Silver lining: it’s nonetheless heat sufficient to go tenting, ideally by a physique of water you possibly can dunk in a number of occasions a day. For those who’re venturing out, clearly you’re taking Camp Pleasure with you, since you’re sensible AND it’s on sale for 15% off. Use code JOYSCOUT15 and reside your greatest life (with loads of bug spray). Personally, I feel we want iron-on “Pleasure Scout” badges, however that’s simply me. (Camp Pleasure)
• Sam Sanders is one in every of my favourite podcasters and Tressie McMillan Cottom is one in every of my favourite – effectively, the whole lot. Sam had Tressie on his Vulture podcast Into It to speak nation music and race. It’s an ideal dialog. (Apple Podcasts)
• Whilst you’re downloading episodes of Into It, go forward and hearken to the one on Lizzo, too. ICYMI: return and skim what Abby stated concerning the lawsuit towards Lizzo. After which watch this TikTok. (Apple Podcasts, Pleasure the Baker)
• Talking of Abby, she lovingly linked to my Beyoncé review in her publish. Since then, a younger dancer and choreographer named O’Shae Sibley was stabbed to dying in Brooklyn whereas he was listening to Renaissance and vogueing at a gasoline station. Zach Stafford wrote about it for MSNBC. (Nashville Scene)
• I’m obsessive about this quote from The New York Occasions Journal story on female rappers: “We’re making the individuals transfer. Males neglect that ladies like them. ? All people wanna speak about gang, gang, gang. Girls such as you, hi there? Take a second to be horny! Whats up? Take your shirt off! The boys is forgetting to take their shirts off, however the girlies always remember.” (NYT Present Hyperlink)
• I met Jenn Shapland at Parnassus when she was on tour for her first guide, My Autobiography of Carson McCullers, which is one in every of my favourite memoirs. Jenn has a brand new guide out now referred to as, Thin Skin, and I’m dying to learn it. To get a style of Jenn’s writing, right here’s a latest story she wrote for the NY Occasions on water aerobics. (Bookshop.org, NYT Present Hyperlink)
• For those who had been on Twitter whereas it was nonetheless considerably enjoyable and useful, then chances are you’ll bear in mind R. Eric Thomas, who went viral for his hilarious “Eric Reads the Information” each day column for Elle. He was in Nashville lately to rejoice his new guide, Congratulations, the Best Is Over!, and I used to be in a position to meet him. Spoiler alert: he’s a delight. (Bookshop.org)
• WaPo has a collection the place they ask writers to replicate on what it’s wish to be again outdoors — if they’re — and the way the pandemic modified them. Danté Stewart wrote the newest column about his native espresso store. Stewart writes, “I feel how I occupied this similar spot earlier than the pandemic cleared us out, how from this sofa I’d learn the phrases: “Coronavirus may even trigger a loneliness epidemic.” How through the pandemic, world occasions and devastating loneliness certainly broke so many people, however how, to our shock, a few of us bent again within the different course to face upright once more.” Learn the entire thing here. (Bookshop.org)
• I’m instructing my social media for writers class once more. It’s in-person, so that is solely of use to you if you will get to Nashville, however if you happen to’re native, I’d like to see you there. (The Porch)
• Talking of issues you possibly can solely do in Nashville, I’ll be in coversation with Lindsay Lynch on Aug. 31 concerning the technique of publishing her debut novel, Do Inform. That is a part of the Birthing the Book collection for The Porch. It’s free!
• An argument for downward facing cowboy. (TikTok)