Let me train you make an exquisite lemon-hinted coconut Easter cake adorned like a nest! High with silky lemon cream cheese frosting, fluffy feathery coconut, and, in fact, chocolate Easter egg candies! You simply want some primary baking staples, an electrical mixer, and a normal Bundt pan to make this gorgeous springtime dessert that’s straightforward sufficient for cake adorning newbies.
Out of all of the seasonal sweet bought in shops all year long, I feel Easter sweet takes the cake. (See what I did there?) Easter bunny, you’ve obtained the correct thought. Give me a basket filled with peanut butter eggs, please!
Right this moment I’m sharing a enjoyable Easter cake dessert, a recipe I initially printed again in 2017 and have served each Easter vacation since. This stunning birds’ nest cake definitely makes an impression, however the perfect half is… adorning this Bundt cake couldn’t be simpler! Positively a lot less complicated than a layer cake, although in case you’re up for a problem, my carrot cake and coconut cake recipes additionally make for a candy finale to a springtime meal.
Right here’s Why This Will Be Your Favourite Easter Cake
- Simple to make, straightforward to brighten—when you’ve got younger fledglings in your nest, they love to assist!
- You’ll discover coconut each inside and on high of this Easter cake—toasting some for topping provides shade and texture variation.
- The cake and frosting aren’t overly candy (save that for the Easter sweet!), with a touch of tartness from lemon and tanginess from cream cheese frosting.
- Can prep the cake the day earlier than.
- Adorning takes solely about 10 minutes, tops.
- Makes sufficient for a crowd of your favourite “peeps.” 😉
- Cake with sweet. You’re welcome; the tip.
Begin With the Bundt Cake
Let’s start by developing the inside of this nest: the cake. Cradling these valuable pastel-hued chocolate eggs is a flippantly candy coconut-flavored cake with a touch of recent lemon.
Listed below are the perfect elements to make use of in your Easter cake and why:
- Cake Flour: To maintain this coconut Bundt cake mushy, and stop it from being too heavy, cake flour is a should. If you happen to can’t discover it, you can also make this DIY cake flour substitute.
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda: Each leaveners raise this cake up because it bakes.
- Salt: All the time wanted for taste.
- Butter: For that unparalleled buttery cake taste. That you must cream the butter, so be sure to’re beginning with correct room temperature butter (it might be cooler than you suppose!).
- Sugar: We’re utilizing granulated sugar to sweeten this Easter cake.
- Lemons: For the perfect taste, use recent lemons. You’ll use each the zest and the juice; bear in mind to zest first, earlier than slicing and juicing—a lot simpler than attempting to zest a squeezed lemon half!
- Coconut Oil: Utilizing oil in muffins helps to maintain the cake moist; and right here you might have the additional benefit of a bit additional coconut taste, too.
- Eggs: Key for binding the elements collectively, so the cake doesn’t collapse (see under!). Use entire eggs right here, for a denser-style cake. My common coconut cake makes use of simply egg whites, and is far lighter and fluffier.
- Vanilla + Coconut Extracts: Taste and extra taste.
- Bitter Cream + Complete Milk: A cautious ratio of those 2 elements provides this cake the perfect steadiness of construction and moisture.
- Sweetened Shredded/Flaked Coconut: I like to recommend utilizing sweetened shredded coconut, typically bought as sweetened flaked coconut. It’s moister than unsweetened coconut, and that makes an enormous distinction within the cake’s texture. I lowered the added sugar within the cake batter to make up for the sweetness. A cup goes into the cake batter; save the remainder for feathering the nest!
Extra Easter Recipes
I’ve loads of Easter recipes, together with a roundup of my favourite Easter brunch recipes.
Recipe Testing This Coconut Easter Bundt Cake
For at this time’s coconut Bundt cake, my workforce and I went via 3 rounds of testing to land on perfection:
- I began with among the identical elements and ratios as this lemon coconut cake. Bundt muffins can tend to end up heavy and dry, and my first strive at a coconut model was each. The feel was overly dense—even robust. I’m fairly positive mama chook wouldn’t deem this a suitably mushy nest for her eggs!
- The second cake my workforce and I examined had higher taste and was positively softer, however utterly crumbled aside after we reduce into it. (Did you see that on my Instagram stories the opposite week? The coconutty cake crumbles tasted scrumptious over a bowl of orange sherbet, although!)
- For the third strive, I took a observe from my cranberry orange Bundt cake and used a mixture of bitter cream and entire milk to realize the correct steadiness of construction and moisture. We additionally lowered the quantity of coconut within the batter, which was inflicting extra crumbliness, and added yet another egg, to assist with binding the crumb collectively. The third time was certainly the attraction, and that’s the recipe you’ll see right here at this time.
This Easter cake isn’t as mild and fluffy as this layered coconut cake, as a result of a Bundt cake is at all times going to be extra dense, with a tighter crumb. However that’s okay! The feel is just like pound cake, and I simply love how a Bundt cake will get that chewy golden crust on the outside. LOVE!
Anticipate a thick and fluffy batter:
After baking, let the cake cool for two hours within the pan, then invert it onto a cake stand or serving platter to proceed cooling, and ultimately adorn.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Silky easy cream cheese frosting is very easy to unfold on a Bundt cake as a result of it glides proper on. As well as, it’s a superb “glue” for all of the fluffy, feathery coconut on high.
You’ll taste at this time’s cream cheese frosting with recent lemon juice, however be happy to additionally add 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract to the frosting in case you’d prefer to amp up the coconut taste.
The way to Beautify This Easter Cake Like a Nest
Reworking this cake right into a chook’s nest is fast and simple. Merely slather on the frosting (I take advantage of an icing spatula), then “feather the nest” by gently urgent the sweetened shredded coconut on high, in order that it sticks to the frosting.
Lastly, lay your eggs—er, I imply, fill the middle of the nest together with your favourite candy-coated chocolate eggs. Then be ready to swat away any sneaky little arms this Easter cake will entice!
And what would launch the cuteness issue into overdrive? Including marshmallow chick Peeps to your nest!
Non-obligatory: The way to Toast Coconut for Topping
I prefer to toast a bit little bit of the sweetened coconut so as to add some shade variation on high of this Easter nest cake. It additionally provides that scrumptious crispy texture and toasted taste.
For a distinction of texture and shade, I toasted about half of the coconut. You possibly can go away the coconut untoasted or toast all of it—the choice is yours.
Unfold the coconut on an ungreased baking sheet, and toast in a 300°F (150°C) oven for about 6–8 minutes, till it’s golden-brown. Let it cool utterly earlier than utilizing. Tremendous straightforward.
Extra Easter Dessert Recipes
And in case you love Easter sweet as a lot as I do, make sure to do that Easter bunny bark.
This stunning springtime nest cake is straightforward sufficient for cake adorning newbies. High the flippantly candy coconut Bundt cake with creamy lemon cream cheese frosting, feathery sweetened coconut, and, in fact, candy-coated chocolate eggs!
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Generously grease a 10–12-cup Bundt pan.
- Make the cake: Whisk the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on excessive pace till easy and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the granulated sugar and lemon zest and beat on excessive pace for 3–4 minutes till creamed. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl as wanted. Add the melted coconut oil and blend on medium pace to mix. With the mixer operating on low pace, add the eggs one after the other, then add bitter cream and the vanilla and coconut extracts. Beat on medium-high pace till mixed. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl as wanted.
- Whisk the lemon juice and milk collectively. With the mixer operating on low pace, add the dry elements in 3 additions, alternating with the lemon-milk combination and mixing after every addition till simply included. Don’t over-mix. The batter shall be thick and fluffy. Fold within the coconut.
- Spoon/pour evenly into Bundt pan and bake for 55–65 minutes, or till the perimeters are golden brown. If you happen to discover the highest is browning too shortly, loosely cowl with aluminum foil about midway via bake time.
- Cool cake for two hours within the pan, after which invert onto a cake stand or serving plate. Cool utterly earlier than adorning.
- Make the frosting: In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter collectively on medium pace till easy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, and vanilla extract with the mixer operating on low. Enhance to excessive pace and beat for 3 minutes. Add 1 extra Tablespoon of lemon juice to skinny out, if desired. Style. Add a pinch of salt if desired.
- Utilizing an icing spatula or a knife, frost the cooled Bundt cake. High with sweetened flaked/shredded coconut. Fill the outlet within the heart of the cake with candy-coated chocolate eggs. Serve instantly or refrigerate till able to serve, as much as 24 hours. If the cake has been refrigerated for longer than an hour, let it sit out at room temperature for about half-hour earlier than serving, to melt up a bit.
- Cowl leftover cake tightly and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days. I often retailer frosted muffins in a cake carrier.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You can also make and funky the cake 1 day earlier than serving, retailer coated in a single day, and adorn and serve the next day. You may as well make and adorn the cake 1 day prematurely; see step 8. To freeze, wrap unfrosted baked and cooled cake in 1–2 layers of plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for as much as 3 months. Permit to thaw (nonetheless within the wrapping) in a single day within the fridge, then convey to room temperature earlier than frosting, slicing, and serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand) | Bundt Pan | Icing Spatula | Cake Carrier
- Cake Flour: For the perfect outcomes, I strongly advocate cake flour. You could find cake flour within the baking aisle and I’ve many extra recipes utilizing it. If you happen to can’t discover it, strive making this cake flour substitute.
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut: I like to recommend utilizing sweetened shredded/flaked coconut within the cake and because the topping. It’s moister than unsweetened coconut and that makes an enormous distinction within the cake’s texture. If desired, pulse the coconut shreds in a meals processor to cut them up in order that they aren’t as lengthy inside and out of doors of the cake. Chopping the coconut is non-compulsory.
- Room Temperature Substances: All refrigerated gadgets must be at room temperature so the batter mixes collectively simply and evenly. Right here is why room temperature elements are essential in baking.
- Complete Milk & Bitter Cream: Complete milk and full-fat bitter cream are strongly really useful for the perfect style and texture. You possibly can substitute full-fat plain yogurt for the bitter cream, if wanted. And in case you don’t have entire milk, decrease fats or nondairy milk work in a pinch.
- Toasted Coconut for Topping: If desired, you’ll be able to toast some or the entire coconut for the topping. Unfold the coconut on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake in a 300°F (150°C) oven for six–8 minutes, or till browned to your liking. Let cool earlier than utilizing.
- Can I Use One other Frosting? If you happen to don’t desire a cream cheese frosting, this lemon buttercream can be so tasty, and you may halve the recipe to make simply sufficient for the Bundt.
- Can I Use One other Taste Bundt Cake? Sure, you need to use this frosting and adorning method with one other taste Bundt cake resembling cheesecake swirl carrot Bundt cake, chocolate marble banana Bundt cake, lemon berry yogurt cake, and cream cheese pound cake.
- Impressed by Real Simple.
Key phrases: Easter cake, nest cake