This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As a substitute of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mixture of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a stunning texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, be sure to’re utilizing licensed GF oats. This can be a great various to my common apple crisp recipe.
This gluten-free apple crisp will take a look at alllll your self management. I initially revealed this recipe again in 2014, and it’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD. Each bit nearly as good as my traditional apple crisp recipe! And dare I say even higher as a result of you’ve got the fabulous addition of maple syrup. Yum.
(By the way in which, do you know I’ve a piece on my web site devoted to gluten-free recipes? I even have this gluten-free desserts web page.)
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Gluten-Free Apple Crisp:
- Fast & straightforward: No pre-cooking, chilling, or waiting-for-it-to-cool steps
- Fall-favorite flavors of apple, cinnamon, maple, and brown sugar
- Crumbly, buttery oat and almond crisp topping
- Recipe doubles simply for serving a crowd
- Nobody will imagine it’s gluten free!
I respect how straightforward it’s to arrange fruit crisps. Whereas I am keen on fruit pies with my selfmade buttery flaky pie crust, they are often quite time consuming. Apple pie is a perpetually favourite dessert, however ready for it to chill will be downright torturous. With this crisp, we will dig proper in whereas it’s nonetheless heat!
Straightforward Apple Filling
- Apples: See under for one of the best apples to make use of. You want 5 cups of peeled, chopped apples, which is about 4 medium/giant apples.
- Lemon Juice: A squeeze of lemon helps brighten up the flavour of the apple filling—it tastes a little bit flat with out it.
- Brown Sugar: The molasses content material in brown sugar provides a lot taste because it sweetens. It’s how I sweeten this apple galette, too.
- Maple Syrup: For sweetness with that unequaled maple taste. The apple-maple combo tastes like quintessential fall! Have you ever ever tried my wholesome apple muffins?
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances and enhances all the opposite flavors.
- Cornstarch: This helps the filling thicken because it bakes.
- Spices: Similar to in apple pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice add heat and depth of taste to this gluten-free apple crisp.
What Are the Greatest Apples to Use for Baking?
Firmer apples are perfect for baking. Keep away from delicate, mealy, and mushy apples. For depth of taste, it’s finest to bake with a mixture of tart and candy apples. For this crisp, I often use 2 tart and a pair of candy.
- Tart apples I like to bake with: Granny Smith (in my view, that is one of the best total apple for baking), Braeburn, Jonathan, and Pacific Rose
- Candy apples I like to bake with: Jazz, Pazazz, Honeycrisp, Pink Woman, and Fuji
Peel & Slice Apples Into Chunks
You’ll be able to skip peeling the apples in case you’d like, however many want peeled apples in desserts. I take advantage of and love (affiliate hyperlink) this OXO peeler. Numerous crisp recipes use apple slices, however I want chunks as a result of chunks simply match onto a spoon or fork. It’s additionally tough to get completely uniform slices, so some items will be a lot thinner than others—and which means mushy apples. 1-inch chunks which are between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch thick are perfect for this gluten-free crisp.
Toss the apple chunks with the remainder of the filling components after which spoon/pour the apple filling right into a 9-inch pie dish or sq. baking pan.
Right here’s What You Want for the Topping
6 components come collectively to make a scrumptious gluten-free topping:
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar provides a lot taste and softness, and pairs rather well with the maple taste within the filling.
- Oats: Entire rolled/old style oats are finest on this topping. Ensure that to search for “licensed gluten free” on the label.
- Almond Meal: This replaces the standard all-purpose flour. Almond meal is just floor almonds (earlier than reaching the stage of almond butter). If you happen to use blanched almonds and grind them up a little bit extra advantageous, you’ll get almond flour. Almond meal has a little bit extra texture. You need to use almond flour or almond meal; I’ve executed it each methods and both works.
- Cinnamon: A touch of cinnamon within the topping provides much more taste.
- Salt: Sweetness balancer/taste enhancer.
- Butter: Stirring in melted butter is what makes the crisp topping come collectively, all crumbly and scrumptious!
You should purchase almond meal from the shop, nevertheless it’s very easy to make at dwelling. Pulse sliced or slivered almonds in a meals processor till the almonds are pulverized. To keep away from the almonds grinding into an oily almond butter because of the processor’s warmth, pulse them with 2 Tablespoons oats. I notice that within the recipe under.
Sprinkle the topping everywhere in the prime of the apple filling, and your gluten-free apple crisp is able to bake! No chilling, pre-cooking, cooling, or another steps that may additional delay the second of bliss whenever you dig in your spoon for that first chunk.
And naturally, don’t overlook the vanilla ice cream! No apple dessert is full and not using a scoop of vanilla ice cream on prime. And for a juicy pop of shade, sprinkle some contemporary pomegranate arils on prime earlier than serving. (Completely optionally available, however look how fairly!) Discuss texture heaven.
Can I Make Different Gluten-Free Fruit Crisps?
Sure, you may change the apples with cherries or pears, and even change 1 cup of the apples with contemporary cranberries. It’s also possible to use blueberries or peaches, however scale back the maple syrup within the filling down to three Tablespoons, as a result of each of these fruits get so juicy. Be happy to regulate the spices, based mostly on the fruit you’re utilizing.
This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As a substitute of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mixture of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a stunning texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, be sure to’re utilizing licensed GF oats. It’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish, cake pan, or sq. baking pan. Put aside.
- Filling: Stir the entire filling components collectively in a big bowl. Ensure that the apples are evenly coated. Unfold evenly into ready pan.
- Topping: Whisk the brown sugar, oats, and almond meal collectively. Break up any giant clumps of brown sugar. Whisk within the cinnamon and salt. As soon as mixed, stir within the melted butter. Sprinkle topping over the apples and end with a couple of slivered or sliced almonds (optionally available).
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or till the submitting is bubbly, the apples are a little bit delicate, and the topping is browned. If it appears to be like just like the topping is browning too shortly, cowl the highest loosely with aluminum foil about midway by way of baking time. Enable to chill for five–10 minutes earlier than serving.
- Prime with pomegranate arils, if utilizing, and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Observe steps 2 and three within the recipe, then cowl the crisp and freeze for as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 9-inch Pie Dish, 9-inch Round Cake Pan, or 9-inch Square Baking Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Rubber Spatula | Vegetable Peeler
- Apples: You need about 5 cups (about 600g) chopped apple chunks. For finest taste, use a mixture of tart and candy varieties, reminiscent of 2 tart Granny Smiths and a pair of apples of a sweeter selection like Honeycrisp, Pink Woman, or Fuji.
- Maple Syrup: Delivers a lot taste. And makes the apple filling further juicy and gooey. Don’t depart it out!
- Almond Meal: You need to use store-bought almond meal or almond flour, or you can also make your individual. Begin with 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds. Pulse them, together with 2 Tablespoons of the 1 cup oats known as for on this recipe, in a meals processor till a crumbly meal has shaped. Don't run the meals processor constantly; chances are you'll find yourself with almond butter. Fast pulses are finest. You'll find yourself with about 1/2 cup almond meal.
Key phrases: gluten free apple crisp