This BEST EVER Potato Salad (with bacon!) is straight from grandma’s recipe field! It’s simple, creamy, and loaded with bacon, and a secret ingredient within the dressing places it excessive. It transformed me to being a potato salad lover! Please don’t undergo your complete summer season with out making this at the very least as soon as!
Why You’ll Love This Potato Salad with Bacon
I lengthy disliked potato salad due to how over-the-top mayonnaise-y it usually is. That’s, till this recipe. It was life-changing, and I’m so comfortable to share the recipe with you!
This recipe comes from a buddy’s grandmother, and on the recipe card she gave me it’s titled “Greatest Ever Potato Salad”. A daring assertion and one which all the time provides me pause, however it’s completely, 100% warranted on this case.
First, I are inclined to belief previous household recipes over others; second, the grandma was assured sufficient to name it the perfect; and lastly, it has a secret ingredient that takes it excessive. Effectively-deserved!
This basic potato salad depends upon these primary elements:
- Purple Potatoes – You’ll be able to substitute Yukon gold potatoes; each maintain their form very well in potato salad.
- Bacon – Common sliced bacon is ideal!
- Exhausting-Boiled Eggs – A basic potato salad add-in.
- Celery – For crunch and taste!
- Onion – A small yellow onion; you’ll be able to substitute a shallot.
- Mayonnaise – That is the bottom of the dressing. You’ll be able to substitute all or half with both bitter cream or plain Greek yogurt. These will each impart extra of a tangy taste, however will nonetheless work effectively right here.
- Dijon Mustard – Provides somewhat chunk to the dressing.
- Sugar – Basic granulated sugar for somewhat sweetness within the dressing.
Many potato salad recipes name for vinegar of some sort within the dressing, however the Dijon mustard right here does a terrific job of including tang and acid and goes extremely effectively with the creaminess of the mayonnaise and the sweetness of the sugar.
The Secret Ingredient that Makes This Potato Salad THE BEST
The bacon drippings!
Together with the entire nice elements that give this salad a terrific depth of taste and many texture, the dressing on this potato salad is what makes it insanely particular.
After frying up the bacon, you save a few tablespoons of the bacon drippings and whisk in a modest quantity of mayonnaise, some Dijon mustard, a little bit of sugar, and a smidge of salt.
It’s ah-mazing. The flavour is powerful, not terribly mayonnaise-y (an enormous bonus in my e book), and an ideal accent to all of the flavors and textures within the salad.
The right way to Make This Potato Salad
First issues first… if you happen to haven’t hard-boiled your eggs but, do this first in order that they have time to chill down earlier than being added to the potato salad. Then…
- Boil the potatoes till they’re fork-tender, then drain.
- In the meantime, prepare dinner the bacon in a skillet till crisp. Drain off the bacon drippings, reserving a few tablespoons.
- Add the remaining dressing elements to the skillet and whisk to mix.
- Toss collectively the potatoes, eggs, celery, and inexperienced pepper. Pour the dressing over and stir to coat, then gently combine within the bacon.
- Cowl and refrigerate at the very least 3 hours earlier than serving.
Making it Forward of Time
Potato salad is the proper candidate for making upfront! You’ll be able to safely (and simply) make this potato salad as much as 1 day upfront and maintain it lined within the fridge earlier than serving.
I’ve served this to individuals who declare to hate potato salad due to the mayonnaise issue. I’ve additionally served it to individuals who declare that they solely like their mother’s/grandma’s/aunt’s recipe and no others.
All of those individuals? They’ve tripped over themselves raving about this recipe, declaring it the perfect ever potato salad they’ve ever had.
If You Like This Potato Salad Recipe, Strive These Summery Salads:
Watch the Recipe Video:
In the event you make this potato salad recipe and find it irresistible, keep in mind to cease again and provides it a 5-star score – it helps others discover the recipe! ❤️️
Greatest Ever Potato Salad
The BEST EVER Potato Salad recipe from a buddy’s grandmother, with a particular secret ingredient within the dressing! It transformed me from being a potato salad hater to a potato salad lover!
- 1½ kilos purple potatoes, lower into small cubes (about 4 cups)
- 12 ounce bundle bacon, lower into 1-inch items
- ¾ cup (170 g) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ medium inexperienced pepper, finely diced
Boil the potatoes till they’re fork tender. (In the event you’re undecided the best way to boil the potatoes, this is an effective useful resource.) Drain the potatoes and put aside.
In the meantime, prepare dinner the bacon in a skillet over medium-low warmth till crisp. Take away bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to empty. Pour off all however 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings within the skillet and take away the pan from warmth.
Add the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and salt to the reserved bacon drippings within the skillet and whisk to mix.
In a big bowl, mix the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion and inexperienced pepper. Pour the dressing over the elements and gently stir to evenly coat. Stir within the bacon.
Cowl and refrigerate for at the very least 3 hours earlier than serving. Leftovers could be saved, lined, within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- Potatoes: You’ll be able to substitute Yukon gold potatoes; in addition they maintain their form effectively in potato salad.
- Onion: You need to use one shallot rather than the chopped onion.
- Mayonnaise: You’ll be able to substitute all or half with bitter cream or plain Greek yogurt. These will each impart extra of a tangy taste however will nonetheless work.
- Storage: Leftovers needs to be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- Make-Forward: You’ll be able to put together this potato salad and maintain it lined, within the fridge, as much as 1 day upfront of serving it.
Dietary values are primarily based on one serving
Energy: 574kcal, Carbohydrates: 22g, Protein: 14g, Fats: 47g, Saturated Fats: 11g, Ldl cholesterol: 173mg, Sodium: 1032mg, Potassium: 714mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 250IU, Vitamin C: 19.1mg, Calcium: 37mg, Iron: 1.6mg
[photos by Ari of Well Seasoned]