That includes juicy candy peaches and a buttermilk biscuit-like topping, peach cobbler is the final word comforting homestyle summer time dessert. For the perfect texture, lower the peaches into chunks as a substitute of slices, and add an egg wash and a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar on prime earlier than baking. Serve heat with chilly vanilla ice cream or recent whipped cream for the *finest* summer time dessert expertise.
We don’t often consider summer time fruit recipes as “consolation meals”—that’s a time period sometimes used to explain cold-weather fare—but when there may be one, it’s peach cobbler. Juicy peaches with a touch of cinnamon and ginger… below a buttery biscuit topping… served scorching with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on prime… is sort of a hug at first chunk. 😉
I initially printed this recipe in 2016, and it’s been a reader favourite since. It even preceded my in style berry cobbler recipe! I haven’t modified this peach model over time, however I now add slightly ginger to the juicy peach filling as a result of peaches + ginger are a critically underrated taste combo.
One reader, P&C, commented: “As soon as once more, a flawless recipe. We bake with confidence after we use your recipes, even when we’ve got made slight errors, we at all times get end result. This peach cobbler is among the many finest, if not the perfect, I’ve ever had. ★★★★★“
One reader, Wendy, commented: “This turned out so scrumptious and delightful! I preferred that the recipe requires much less sugar than different recipes; it was nonetheless candy sufficient for me, and the peaches actually shined. Undoubtedly do the egg wash and sugar-cinnamon topping, it added a pleasant crunch…. Thanks for this unbelievable recipe! ★★★★★“
Let’s Have Excessive Peach Cobbler Requirements
In all of my peach cobbler recipe testing over time, I’ve realized that there are a number of requirements for this basic summertime dessert:
- The peach filling needs to be wealthy and candy, however not overly candy.
- Chunks are finest, identical to I like to recommend in peach pie and peach crumble pie.
- Lemon juice balances the candy peaches and sugar, identical to on this peach crisp.
- Use minimal cornstarch to thicken the peach filling, as a result of an excessive amount of weighs it down.
- The buttery biscuit topping needs to be crisp on prime, however smooth and moist beneath.
- An egg wash + cinnamon-sugar on the biscuit topping provides a good looking golden sheen and slightly sparkle (identical to we do for pie crust), but in addition makes for the perfect texture.
- A touch of ginger (simply 1/8 teaspoon!) is the BEST taste booster for peaches.
So, now that we’ve received that each one discovered, it’s truly very easy to make this dessert! No chilling, adorning, or particular instruments are required for this peach cobbler recipe.
What Are the Greatest Peaches to Use?
One of the best peaches for peach cobbler are the identical I like to recommend for different peach recipes together with peach pie, peach cake, peach crisp, and peach bread. You need barely agency (not exhausting) peaches with zero bruises or smooth spots. In case your peaches are smooth, stringy, and mushy, your filling will style smooth, stringy, and mushy.
#1 Success Tip: Use Chunks, Not Slices
For the perfect texture, lower your peaches into small chunks. As a result of peaches are so juicy, slices bake into mush, whereas chunks retain extra of their deliciously smooth texture. They’re additionally simpler to eat with a spoon! The identical tip applies for peach pie and apple crisp.
Overview: Learn how to Make Peach Cobbler
The total printable recipe is beneath, however let me stroll you thru every step and present you some images so you’ve success when it’s your flip to make this iconic dessert.
- Combine the filling components collectively. You want peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and a touch of salt. Since peaches are naturally candy, you solely want 1/4 cup of sugar within the filling. Don’t skip the lemon juice—the filling tastes slightly flat with out it. Unfold the filling right into a greased 9×13-inch pan.
- Pre-bake the peaches. Pre-baking the peach filling for about 10 minutes earlier than including the biscuit topping. With out this step, the peaches might stay agency beneath the topping.
- Whereas the peaches pre-bake, make the biscuit topping. Combine a number of primary components collectively. You want flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Reduce in chilly butter with a pastry cutter till pea-sized crumbs kind, like when making for pie crust. These flour-coated butter crumbles promise a flaky smooth, however crisp biscuit topping. After that, combine in buttermilk.
- Prime peaches with biscuit dough. Utilizing your fingers, kind the dough into little patties and place them on prime of the nice and cozy peaches. Add an egg wash and sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar on prime.
Then it’s able to bake! A 9×13-inch pan is finest for this recipe, however any baking pan that holds 3-4 quarts quantity works splendidly.
Peach Cobbler Biscuit Topping
You want primary components for the biscuit topping. I like to recommend utilizing buttermilk for an ultra-rich biscuit taste. It’s what I take advantage of to organize my do-it-yourself biscuits and strawberry shortcake, too.
You can even discover recipes that use a cake-like topping, combining cake batter and peaches. The cake batter is definitely on the underside and floats above the peaches because it all bakes.
In fact it’s all private choice, however I undoubtedly gravitate in the direction of the biscuit. There’s extra crunchy texture and the entire thing tastes healthful, substantial, and wealthy, particularly when the nice and cozy sticky peach syrup and vanilla ice cream topping (a should!) cross paths.
Reduce the chilly butter into the dry components, after which pour within the buttermilk and blend to mix:
The biscuit dough placement on prime of the peaches doesn’t should be precise or good. Some peaches may be uncovered beneath. It’s a rustic-looking dish that doesn’t require fussy adorning steps.
Earlier than baking, brush the biscuit layer with an egg wash (egg + buttermilk), then sprinkle it with cinnamon-sugar. These little extras add a stunning golden sheen and candy crunch. Belief me, this extra step solely takes a minute, and the outcomes are greater than value it!
This biscuit-topped peach cobbler is without doubt one of the most scrumptious methods to take pleasure in recent peaches after they’re in season. The peaches are clearly the star of the present, and the entire dessert gained’t depart you with a toothache. It’s pure, peachy-keen summer time goodness.
When peaches are barely agency (not exhausting) with zero bruises, they’re prepared for peach cobbler. In case your peaches are mushy, your dessert will style mushy.
Whereas I often do, you don’t should peel the peaches when making this dessert.
Recent peaches are finest for cobbler, although you may get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Readers have raved about this dessert utilizing frozen, thawed peaches. Canned peaches are usually not superb as a result of they’re already too smooth and mushy.
Many readers have requested about mixing in blueberries, cherries, plums, pluots, nectarines, and so on. You possibly can completely swap fruits, or use a mixture of fruits, so long as you’ve a complete of about 10 cups (1.5kg). I notably love equal components blueberries and peaches right here. You might also like this blended berry cobbler.
I brush the biscuit topping with an egg wash (egg crushed with some buttermilk), so it’s golden-brown, crisp, and glossy. You possibly can skip the egg and brush with simply buttermilk if desired.
Juicy candy peaches and buttery biscuits come collectively on this basic summer time dessert. Reduce the peaches into chunks for the perfect texture, and use this straightforward buttermilk biscuit topping for the perfect taste. The egg wash guarantees a golden crisp topping.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Flippantly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. Any 3-4-quart baking dish works.
- For the filling: Combine all the filling components collectively in a big bowl, then unfold into the baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Take away from the oven and put aside as you put together the topping. Hold the oven on.
- For the topping: Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Utilizing a pastry cutter or 2 forks, lower within the chilly butter till the combination resembles coarse pea-sized crumbs. A pastry cutter makes this step very straightforward and fast! You may additionally use a meals processor. Pour within the buttermilk, and gently combine till evenly mixed. Dough needs to be barely sticky as soon as fully mixed, but when it’s too dry, add 1 extra Tablespoon of buttermilk.
- Assemble the cobbler: Take handfuls of dough and gently flatten out. Place dough all around the prime of the nice and cozy peach filling. There’s no particular trick to this—simply flatten the dough in sections and canopy many of the peaches.
- Brush the highest of the biscuit dough with egg wash, then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, if utilizing.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or till the biscuit topping is golden brown and peach filling is effervescent across the edges. To check for doneness, stick a toothpick into the biscuit topping and if it comes out clear, it’s performed.
- Take away cobbler from the oven, and set the pan on a wire rack. Cool for five minutes earlier than serving. Serve heat with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Freezing Directions: I don’t advocate getting ready this recipe forward of time as a result of the biscuit topping gained’t rise as a lot if it isn’t instantly baked. You possibly can, nevertheless, freeze the ready peach filling for as much as 3 months. Permit to thaw within the fridge, combine in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch (will probably be so juicy, and this helps thicken it, then pre-bake as instructed in step 2. You can even freeze the baked cobbler for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and heat within the oven earlier than serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Vegetable/Fruit Peeler | 9×13-inch Pan | Glass Mixing Bowl | Whisk | Pastry Cutter | Pastry Brush | Cooling Rack
- Frozen or Canned Peaches: Recent peaches are finest for cobbler, although you may get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Readers have raved about this dessert utilizing frozen, thawed peaches. Canned peaches are usually not superb as a result of they’re already too smooth and mushy.
- Buttermilk: You can also make your personal DIY model of buttermilk if wanted. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add sufficient chilly complete milk to the identical measuring cup till it reaches 1/2 cup. (In a pinch, chilly decrease fats or chilly nondairy milks work for this soured milk, however the topping gained’t style as moist or wealthy.) Stir it round and let sit for five minutes. The do-it-yourself “buttermilk” might be considerably curdled and able to use within the recipe.
- To Make With out Egg Wash: The egg wash helps the dessert attain that golden-brown, crisp goodness. You possibly can skip the egg and brush with simply buttermilk as a substitute.
- Different Fruits: Many readers have requested about mixing in blueberries, cherries, plums, pluots, nectarines, and so on. You possibly can completely swap fruits, or use a mixture of fruits, so long as you’ve a complete of about 10 cups (1.5kg). I notably love equal components blueberries and peaches right here. You might also like this blended berry cobbler.
- Particular person Cobblers: As an alternative of baking as one large dessert, you may make particular person peach cobblers by dividing the layers and baking in a number of oven-safe ramekins. Bake time will depend on the quantity of meals in every ramekin. Bake on a big baking sheet till the filling is effervescent and biscuit topping is golden brown. It’s simpler to bake as a complete and easily serve in particular person ramekins and even parfait glasses, although!