Hey, Pleasure Nation!
Tennessee has admittedly been a drag currently. However…it’s been two years since I moved again residence to Nashville and I’m nonetheless delighting in all of the charms I missed whereas I used to be gone. Lately, a buddy started a narrative by saying, “Hand to heaven…” One other buddy wrote in an electronic mail, “I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday.”
The turnip truck!! “I’m going to steal that,” I advised my mother. “You don’t have to steal it,” she replied, “It’s been round for ages.”
I’m so in love with Southernisms and the best way phrases are flipped round ‘til they merely sound higher. Like, as an alternative of describing a drink as good, of us will say, “That ain’t half dangerous.” I’m certain you may simply Google an inventory of those phrases however I desire to gather as I’m going. And the extra individuals I speak to, the higher. Beneath are another issues that charmed me this month and have a blessed day.
• “That is my favorite video on the Web.” Similar. (Twitter)
• Despite the fact that I’m a mother, I hardly ever hyperlink out to parenting content material until it makes me lol. However Kathryn Jezer-Morton on the laziness of helicopter parents takes the cake. (The Minimize)
• As a lifelong Nora Ephron devotee, I can’t wait to learn this Sophie Gilbert piece on Heartburn. (The Atlantic)
• Go forward and textual content Ada Limón’s poem, Instructions on Not Giving Up, to your buddy who’s actually going by way of it proper now. (Poets.org)
• Molly Tolsky’s convo with Alana Haim and Sasha Spielberg is pure enjoyable. (Hey Alma)
• My YouTube algo is all tousled from the children utilizing my telephone to look at Mr. Beast. However I do sprinkle these Chinese Cooking Demystified vids in there for aid. (YouTube)
• Should you’re on the lookout for a light-weight e book you possibly can depart on the kitchen counter or in your automobile to dip into for a bite-sized distraction, I’ve been having fun with Steve Martin’s Number One Is Walking. It’s half memoir, half graphic novel. All pleasure. (Bookshop)
• Primarily based on considered one of your feedback, pricey JTB readers, I did my first chilly plunge on my birthday and am formally hooked. As Jenna Wortham describes a skinny dipper’s journey: “Whole immersion of my physique into water allowed for a complete give up of the phantasm of separation between self and the world, the universe, no matter you name it. Should you don’t imagine in god, say ocean.” (New York Instances)
• This piece on Elliott Smith’s high school band provides a candy layer to his musical historical past + a window into the creativity of a shy group of Eighties teenagers. (Pitchfork)
• The start of Spring this previous week introduces the right time to make these strawberry and vanilla bean daisy conchas. Who wants flowers when you possibly can bake them! However flowers are so beautiful, too. (Pleasure the Baker)
• And, lastly, Courtney Martin’s notes on building a (professional) life you love are gorgeous. (Substack)