My do-it-yourself Oreo cookie recipe makes crisp, black cocoa-infused cookies sandwiched round a creamy vanilla filling. These cookies are SO nostalgic and as near the unique as you will get! Recipe features a how-to video!
Oreo Cookies From Scratch
This Oreo cookie recipe is my do-it-yourself tackle the basic, tremendous nostalgic deal with. I needed skinny, crisp, black cookie shells with a creamy white filling; one thing that fully evoked the reminiscence of Oreo cookies. My recipe is spot on (if I do say so myself🤓)–these cookies style like my childhood!
I really feel prefer it’s essential to say that my recipe makes do-it-yourself Oreos which can be CRISP! So many recipes mimic the flavour, however don’t fairly obtain the feel of the true factor. To me, Oreo cookies mustn’t have mushy “shells” like whoopie pies; they must be completely crisp. Mine are simply that, they usually break simply beneath your enamel, similar to the true factor! The filling can be fastidiously crafted to be completely candy, creamy and simply the fitting consistency. I adore it.
What You’ll Love About these Home made Oreos
- Tastes like the true factor — however higher! You’ll acknowledge the style and texture of the store-bought basic, however these are subsequent degree in taste because of our elements.
- Has the fitting texture I really feel like Oreos must be textured, even the do-it-yourself variety. I needed to get artistic with my technique as a result of I don’t have a textured rolling pin (I’ve had my eye on this embossed one however haven’t pulled the set off on it but), however you may positively use one (or depart yours clean!)
- CRISP and snappy. They break completely beneath your enamel, similar to an actual Oreo must!
- Genuine black & white colour. You received’t get the deep black colour for the cookie shells through the use of conventional cocoa, so I’ve included notes on the place to purchase black cocoa, as an alternative (it’s cheap and obtainable on Amazon).
What You Want
For the Cookies
Home made Oreos are surprisingly easy to make. Whereas there aren’t too many elements in my Oreo cookie recipe, I’d wish to go over just a few earlier than we get began.
- Black cocoa. I talked briefly about black cocoa in my pure vs. dutch course of cocoa publish, however you may learn extra about it here. The sort of cocoa powder is crucial for correct Oreo taste and colour. I embrace notes on substituting different sorts of cocoa within the recipe notes beneath, however simply know that it actually received’t be the identical cookie or have that basic style with out black cocoa. I buy my black cocoa here on Amazon (affiliate).
- Butter. I like to make use of unsalted butter, however in case you solely have salted butter available, you may cut back the salt within the cookies to only ¼ teaspoon. Be sure your butter is softened earlier than starting.
- Baking soda. This helps make the cookies a bit extra brittle, which helps them snap completely beneath your enamel. We’ll additionally add some baking powder, which isn’t the identical factor as baking soda! You may learn extra in regards to the variations between the 2 in my baking powder vs. baking soda publish.
- Vanilla. I take advantage of two sorts of vanilla on this Oreo cookie recipe; pure vanilla within the cookies themselves, and clear vanilla for the filling. Extra on this beneath.
For the Filling
We want simply 5 elements for the filling, considered one of which could shock you: shortening! I usually don’t wish to bake with shortening, however I discovered it needed right here. Maintain studying to seek out out why, and your choices for substitutes.
- Butter. As soon as once more, be sure your butter is softened earlier than getting began. I take advantage of unsalted butter right here too and add further salt myself.
- Shortening. I discovered a minimum of some shortening was essential to preserve the filling from being too wealthy. Actual Oreos use shortening of their filling too, so it is smart to make use of it right here for essentially the most genuine outcomes. Regardless of this, a lot of you received’t need to use shortening, and, actually, I get it! You may simply substitute the shortening with an equal quantity of butter, however simply comprehend it received’t be as true to the unique and can be fairly wealthy.
- Powdered sugar. Very like measuring flour, it may be straightforward to over-measure powdered sugar. Be sure you know tips on how to measure correctly to keep away from a frosting that’s too thick or too skinny.
- Clear vanilla. This retains the filling pure white and in addition provides it that basic Oreo filling taste. You need to use common vanilla if that’s all you’ve got available, however the clear vanilla has a extra synthetic style like the true factor (is that a bit backwards so that you can learn, too? 🙃).
SAM’S TIP: If you need even BETTER tasting (much less genuine, however higher) do-it-yourself Oreos, substitute the shortening within the filling for softened (full-fat) cream cheese. Yum!
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
Methods to Make Home made Oreo Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar till effectively mixed.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir effectively.
- Mix the dry elements in a separate bowl, then progressively add them to the moist elements and stir till mixed.
- Type the dough into two discs, then wrap in plastic. Place within the fridge to relax for a minimum of one hour.
- Unwrap one disc of dough and roll it to 1/16-⅛″ thick on a evenly floured floor. Periodically use a spatula to scrape and loosen the dough as you roll to stop it from sticking.
- When you’d like so as to add a sample to your cookies, use an embossed rolling pin or press an the wrong way up grid-patterned cooling rack into your dough to create a diamond form. You can additionally skip this step for texture-free cookies.
- Minimize out the cookies with a small circle cookie cutter (I take advantage of 1 ¾”). Mix any scraps and re-roll after chopping. Repeat with the second disc of dough.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing 1″ aside. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450F.
SAM’S TIP: I personally choose my Oreo cookies to be a bit on the thinner aspect, so I roll them nearer to 1/16″. You’ll get extra cookies this fashion, however you’ll probably must shave a minute off the bake time too.
- Let the cookies cool fully earlier than filling and sandwiching.
- Make the filling by creaming collectively the butter and shortening.
- Step by step add the powdered sugar, then add the vanilla and salt.
- Pipe or unfold the filling onto the flat aspect of 1 cookie, then high with the flat aspect of one other. Repeat with the remaining cookies, and revel in!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Certain! You may double the frosting recipe in case you’d wish to make your do-it-yourself Oreos further indulgent. Observe that this frosting is a bit much less stiff than the store-bought variety, so it would squish out whenever you chew into your cookies in case you double stuff them.
Retailer them at room temperature and loved inside 5 days. Sadly the do-it-yourself model doesn’t final close to so long as the store-bought variety (no synthetic preservatives right here), however that’s okay, as a result of these by no means final lengthy in my home anyway!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! When you do this recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Home made Oreo Cookie Recipe
Servings: 40 cookies
Stop your display screen from going darkish
For cookie shells
In a big bowl cream collectively the butter and sugar utilizing an electrical mixer (or use a stand mixer) till effectively mixed.
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, softened, 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
Add the egg and vanilla to the butter combination and stir effectively.
1 giant egg, ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively the flour, black cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
1 ¾ cups (220 g) all-purpose flour, ⅔ cups (67 g) black cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Step by step add the dry elements to the moist elements, mixing till effectively mixed.
Divide the dough into two equal elements, type every right into a disk about 1″ thick, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for a minimum of 1 hour earlier than continuing.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Working with one disc of dough at at time, unwrap dough and switch to a clear, evenly floured floor. Frivolously sprinkle flour over the dough and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about ⅛-1/16″ (0.2cm) thickness. To assist preserve the dough from sticking to the counter, periodically use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough and loosen it from the counter.
To make the sample proven on my cookies: take a clear, grid-patterned cooling rack and flip it the wrong way up. Gently press into the cookie dough, then gently elevate, rotate the cooling rack, and press once more earlier than gently lifting and eradicating. Alternatively, use an embossed rolling pin or skip the design altogether.
Usea small spherical cookie cutter (I take advantage of 1 ¾” (4.5cm) circles) to chop out circles and switch to baking sheet, spacing 1” (2.5cm) aside. When you’ve made as many cuts as attainable, you should definitely recombine the dough scraps, roll out once more, and minimize out extra cookies to maximise the dough yield.
Bake the cookies within the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Enable them to chill fully earlier than filling.
For the Filling:
In a medium-sized bowl, cream collectively the softened unsalted butter and shortening utilizing an electrical mixer.
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, ¼ cup (45 g) vegetable shortening
Step by step add the powdered sugar, stirring till well-combined.
2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
½ teaspoon clear vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Pipe or unfold a skinny layer of the filling on the flat aspect of a cooled cookie, after which sandwich with one other cookie, flat aspect down.
Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Take pleasure in!
I like to recommend black cocoa for greatest outcomes. That is the black cocoa that I use. You could substitute Dutch course of cocoa and even pure cocoa, however the colour and style won’t be the identical.
I discovered shortening was needed to present these cookies the right style and mouthfeel. Nonetheless, in case you merely received’t use shortening, substitute with an equal quantity of butter. Observe the filling can be richer, sweeter, and fewer genuine tasting.
Clear vanilla is advisable for the filling to maintain it pure white and to contribute to the extra synthetic taste of the store-bought Oreo cookie. Be at liberty to substitute with common vanilla extract.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 9g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 219IU | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.5mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.