Revel within the tangy-sweet goodness of this straightforward lemon cake recipe made with lemon curd and streusel crumble. This simple single layer cake is bursting with shiny lemon taste, excellent for any event (just like the upcoming weekend, babes).
There’s nothing finer than beginning the weekend off with a thick slice of cake for breakfast on Saturday morning. It’s a sign to our senses that the following few days might be totally different. Much less construction, a slower tempo, and for goodness sake extra cake.
That is the weekend cake! That is the cake we’ll go away on the kitchen counter and sneak slices off as we move. That is afternoon snacking cake and, if we do it proper, we’ll share the final slice on Sunday night time.
It is a easy cake with no cake layers to fuss with. Lemon desserts are my favourite so this simple vanilla cake is swirled with massive spoonfuls of lemon curd which bakes as much as further jammy and concentrated. If lemon curd doesn’t enchantment to you, any preserves you could have within the pantry can be scrumptious.
I hope this brings a sparkle of sweetness to your weekend, mates!
Listed below are the elements you’ll have to make this simple lemon cake recipe:
• all-purpose flour, or a gluten-free flour mix with xanthan gum
• unsalted butter
• granulated sugar
• giant eggs
• baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, floor coriander
• vanilla extract
• bitter cream
• store-bought lemon curd (although you’re welcome to make your personal lemon curd with lemon zest and lemon juice. Make a double batch – it’s scrumptious!)
• rolled oats
• powdered sugar
Let’s make our cake batter.
Within the bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment, or in a big mixing bowl with an electrical hand beater cream collectively room temperature butter and granulated sugar. Beat on medium pace till the butter is pale and aerated.
In a separate bowl, whisk collectively the dry elements: flour, baking soda and powder, and floor coriander.
Add eggs, one by one, beating on medium pace for 1 minute every to fluff the batter. Add the vanilla extract, too.
For the moist elements, it’s only a single necessary dairy: bitter cream. Bitter cream will create probably the most delightfully tender crumb – it’s completely the magic ingredient.
BUT! Within the absence of bitter cream you should use complete milk yogurt or buttermilk.
Add the flour combination and beat on low pace right into a thick batter.
Let’s make an oat crumble for this cake! Oatmeal provides a bit chew to the feel and makes the cake really feel like a hearty, on a regular basis cake.
Plus, the addition of oatmeal completely pushes this cake into the breakfast class.
Line the underside of a greased 9-inch spherical cake pan with parchment paper and flippantly grease the paper as properly. The cake batter will likely be thick. Unfold half of that batter throughout the underside of a pan.
Dollop with lemon curd and swirl it into the batter.
Prime the primary layer of lemon curd with oat crumble then unfold the remaining cake batter throughout the cake, edge to edge. Prime with crumble and swirl with the remaining lemon curd. It’s beautiful, proper?
Bake the cake in a 350 levels F oven till puffed and golden across the edges. Check the cake with a toothpick to ensure the centermost a part of the cake is baked via. She’s a thick girl. If the toothpick comes out with moist batter alongside the lemon curd, she wants a bit extra time within the oven.
Permit the cake to chill within the pan for 10-15 inutes earlier than turning out onto a wire rack to chill or a platter to serve.
Slice into massive wedges.
This cake is gorgeous with a easy dusting of powdered sugar however a lemon glaze can be good. Lemon desserts are notoriously scrumptious with contemporary berries and cream. There’s no flawed reply right here, particularly if there’s scorching espresso too.
Get pleasure from your weekend cake, mates!
For the Cake:
For the Crumble:
- Place a rack within the higher third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 levels F. Grease a 9-inch spherical baking pan (or springform pan), line the underside with a circle of parchment paper and grease the parchment paper as properly. Evenly flour the pan and knock any further flour from the pan.
- In a small bowl whisk collectively flour, baking powder, coriander if utilizing, salt, and baking soda. Put aside.
- In a big bowl with electrical hand beaters or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat collectively butter and sugar on medium pace till pale and fluffy, 3 to five minutes. Beat within the eggs, one by one, beating for 1 minute per egg. Beat within the vanilla extract.
- Cease the mixer and scrape down the edges of the bowl to make sure that every thing is blended in properly. Beat within the bitter cream on medium pace.
- Flip the mixer to low and add the dry elements, mixing till simply mixed. Cease the mixer and end incorporating the batter till properly mixed. The batter will likely be thick.
- To make the oat crumble, in a medium bowl, whisk collectively flour, oats, sugar, and salt. Add the chilly butter chunks and, utilizing your fingers, work the butter into the flour combination. Shortly break the butter down into the combination till properly included. Some butter bits would be the measurement of small peas and oat flakes.
- Unfold half of the cake batter into the underside of the ready pan. An offset spatula is a superb device to unfold the batter. Dollop with half of the lemon curd and sprinkle with slightly below half of the oat crumble. Evenly swirl the batter. Prime with the remaining cake batter, spreading to the sides. Dollop with the remaining lemon curd and sprinkle with remaining crumble. Evenly swirl, leaving beneficiant dollops of curd uncovered on the highest of the cake. They’ll bake to irresistibly jammy. Bake till deeply golden and the edges of the cake are pulling away from the pan. A toothpick inserted within the cake will come out clear or with just some moist crumbs. It is a lengthy bake cake at 45-55 minutes. Rotate the pan midway via baking. Take away cake from the oven and permit to relaxation for 20 to half-hour earlier than attempting to invert the cake.
- Run a knife across the inside fringe of the pan to loosen the cake from the pan. Place a flat plate over the pan and invert the cake. Peel the parchment spherical off the cake and gently invert the cake high aspect up.
- Serve heat or at room temperature flippantly dusted with powdered sugar. Cake lasts, wrapped within the fridge, for as much as 4 days.
Key phrases: cake, lemon, espresso cake, crumb cake, simple cake, lemon curd