Norwegian apple cake is a basic apple cake made with easy elements! Loaded with tart and candy apples, and cinnamon sugar, the buttery cake is ideal with a cup of espresso within the morning or a scoop of ice cream for dessert!
Love apples? Ensure you check out my MOST favourite Apple Pie Recipe!
This recipe was developed in partnership with my mates at Imperial Sugar.
Norwegian Apple Cake (Eplekake)
This Norwegian Apple cake is an genuine, easy cake that’s excellent. Classics are classics for a purpose! Whereas I’ve by no means been to Norway, I’ve had variations of this cake all through my life. This can be a butter cake is crammed with cinnamon sugar apples, which is ideal paired with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or plain! You may take pleasure in this apple cake for breakfast with a cup of espresso, as a day snack, and even for dessert!! However I’ll say that whereas I’m a fan of having fun with this cake heat, it’s a type of truffles that (in my view) is healthier the following day!
For the complete ingredient listing and directions CLICK HERE.
- Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced 1/2- inch thick
- Granulated sugar
- Floor cinnamon
- Salted butter (I like salted particularly on this recipe, as you don’t add any extra salt and it provides taste.)
- Granulated sugar
- Massive Eggs
- Baking powder
- All objective flour
What Are the Finest Sorts Of Apples For Baking?
There are such a lot of apples to select from while you get to the grocery store! All of them look so lovely, however know that each one apples are usually not nice for baking! I virtually solely use Granny Smith apples after I bake this apple cake. These tart apples maintain their construction whereas they bake, not turning to complete mush, and are candy so their taste actually pops!
Apples To Keep away from In Baking:
Sure apples are simply too gentle, or don’t have sufficient taste to pack a punch in baking. Here’s a listing of apples that needs to be loved recent or became applesauce!
- Purple Scrumptious
Apples That Are Nice To Bake With:
These apples are agency, candy, and a bit of tart. They maintain their construction in baking and their taste actually comes by way of with out getting too mushy!
- Granny Smith
- Pink Woman
What Instruments Do You Want?
This recipe is in the end quite simple, however a couple of kitchen instruments will make the method additional straightforward!
The right way to Make Norwegian Apple Cake?
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Put aside.
- Place the sliced apples into a big bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Stir to coat evenly. Put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the butter and 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar collectively on medium pace till creamy, 2 minutes. Add within the eggs one after the other and blend till mixed, scraping the edges and backside of the bowl as needed. Add within the baking powder and blend to include.
- Flip the mixer to low pace and in alternating additions, add the flour and milk, starting and ending with the flour, till simply mixed. Don’t over combine.
- Assemble: Cowl the underside of the ready pan with apples. They’ll overlap, however you desire a single layer. Prime the apples with the cake batter and unfold evenly to cowl all of the apples. Press the remaining apple slices into the batter vertically making concentric circles within the batter.
- Bake for 55 – 65 minutes, or till the cake is golden brown and set and within the middle and a toothpick comes out clear.
- Enable the cake to chill for quarter-hour within the pan. Run a butter knife across the edges after which launch the aspect of the pan.
- Slice and serve heat with whipped cream, dusted with powdered sugar, and even ice cream.
You may amp up this recipe in some ways, which is what’s so nice about it. It’s excellent in its simplicity, however you’ll be able to actually get artistic! Listed below are a couple of concepts to start out:
- Add sliced almonds, walnuts, or pecans to the highest of the cake!
- Add a couple of teaspoons of vanilla to the batter to reinforce the flavour.
- Mud the entire cake with powdered sugar for an additional fairly look.
- Drizzle a candy sugar glaze icing the the highest earlier than serving.
- Add berries to the cake. This might be incredible with a cup of raspberries thrown into the batter as effectively!
- Use peaches as an alternative of apples!
- Add 1 teaspoon of cardamom to the batter to essentially give it that Norwegian taste.
How To Retailer:
This cake is nice for as much as 3 days if saved hermetic at room temperature. It’s also possible to freeze this cake! It freezes superbly if saved hermetic for as much as 30 days. Enable it to thaw out at room temperature and luxuriate in room temperature or heat it up within the microwave for a couple of seconds!