This scrumptious Italian roasted cherry tomato pasta is the right summer season pasta dish. It delivers many candy and contemporary summer season flavors whereas solely taking 45 minutes to make.
After I first noticed this recipe from Puglia for roasted cherry tomato pasta, I simply needed to rush out to purchase the substances so I may cook dinner it instantly! It was love at first chew and I’ve made it plenty of occasions since. This can be a good summer season pasta dish.
This roasted tomato orecchiette pasta recipe comes from Bari in Puglia and is usually referred to as ‘alla Barese’. Nevertheless, there are a selection of different pasta recipes from Puglia or completely different variations of pasta with roasted tomatoes additionally referred to as ‘alla Barese’. Like this recipe for a pasta salad.
Since orecchiette pasta is quintessentially Apulian, it’s the good pasta associate for this sauce. This time spherical, we really made the orecchiette ourselves!
In some recipes for this dish, as soon as the pasta is combined with the sauce, it’s put within the oven or below the grill to make the highest crispy. I didn’t do that once I first served it, however I did it with the leftovers! All I can say is YUMMY!! This dish can be eaten tepid or chilly, making it an exquisite summer season recipe.
You’ll solely want a handful of substances for this roasted tomato pasta recipe. Most of those are straightforward to supply. Plus, the marginally extra distinctive substances like ricotta salata and pecorino romano have some simpler to supply options that can be utilized.
- Pasta: For this recipe I used do-it-yourself orecchiette pasta which was scrumptious. It’s also possible to use contemporary or dried orecchiette which can also be conventional. Another pasta options embody penne and intrecci, however be at liberty to make use of what you’ve available.
- Tomatoes: Use a mixture of purple and yellow cherry tomatoes. This may add a scrumptious sweetness and colour to the pasta recipe. In case you can’t supply each purple and yellow simply utilizing purple works too. One other different for yellow cherry tomatoes are yellow datterini tomatoes.
- Garlic Cloves: I used two cloves of garlic within the roasting course of which added an fragrant, depth of taste. Use contemporary and agency garlic cloves for the very best outcomes.
- Recent Basil: Go for contemporary basil and never dried basil. It provides a beautiful fragrant and contemporary taste that enhances the cherry tomatoes properly.
- Oregano: Use dried Mediterranean oregano. This provides a complementary sturdy, earthy taste to the pasta dish.
- Onion: I’ve made this recipe with each purple and yellow onions earlier than; each are scrumptious! So decide what you’ve available.
- Breadcrumbs: Use a sprinkling of breadcrumbs on the tomatoes earlier than roasting them; this provides an additional dimension of texture.
- Pecorino Romano: Pecorino provides a salty, tangy and savory taste to the recipe. The extra mature the Pecorino Romano you utilize, the extra depth of taste it provides. An alternative choice to it’s Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano.
- Ricotta Salata: Salata is a variant of ricotta cheese that has been pressed, salted, and dried for not less than 90 days. Its texture is firmer than typical ricotta, and it has a salty, barely tangy taste. In case you can’t supply ricotta salata, aged feta generally is a appropriate substitute.
- Salt & Pepper: Use salt and pepper on the finish of the recipe to style and season the recipe.
- Further Virgin Olive Oil: Use good high quality olive oil as the flavour will add extra depth to the recipe.
Observe these professional tricks to make the very best roasted cherry tomato pasta doable.
Preheat the Oven: Preheating the oven is a vital step that can assist the cherry tomatoes caramelize higher and cease them from stewing as a lot of their juices. This may assist their taste develop into sweeter whereas sustaining extra texture.
Roasting Cherry Tomatoes: That is one among my favourite cherry tomato roasting suggestions. Roast the cherry tomatoes lower facet up. This may assist the cherry tomatoes retain loads of their candy juices that may then be used to coat the pasta.
Pasta Cooked Al Dente: Prepare dinner your pasta to al dente to provide the recipe extra texture. Al dente pasta is vital on this recipe as it’s going to add extra distinction towards the cooked cherry tomatoes.
Baking Sheet to Scale back Clear-Up: In case you’re nervous about charring your new baking dish, add a chunk of baking pepper beneath. This may cease the sugars from the tomatoes and greens from probably charring the underside of the baking dish.
Step by Step Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
2) In an oven-safe dish, mix the onion, garlic, some basil leaves, oregano, and tomatoes (with the lower facet up).
2) Drizzle the mixed substances with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to style.
3) Sprinkle the tomatoes with breadcrumbs and grated Pecorino Romano.
4) Place the cherry tomatoes within the preheated oven at 355°F (180°C) and roast for about half-hour.
4) Whereas the tomatoes are roasting, carry a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt as soon as the water begins to boil, then let the water return to a boil. Prepare dinner the pasta within the boiling salted water till it’s al dente, following the package deal directions for timing.
Word: When utilizing contemporary or do-it-yourself pasta it often doesn’t take very lengthy to cook dinner.
5) As soon as the tomatoes are prepared, take away the garlic cloves from the oven dish. Switch the roasted tomatoes and pasta to a giant baking dish or serving dish.
6) Combine all of the substances collectively properly within the dish.
7) Serve with a sprinkle of grated ricotta salata and a few further chopped basil leaves.
Storage and Leftovers
This dish tastes finest whenever you eat it proper after it’s made. However if in case you have leftovers, you’ll be able to put them in a sealed container and retailer them within the fridge for as much as 3 days. You’ll be able to eat this pasta dish chilly or scorching, it’s as much as you.
If you wish to reheat it, you’ve two choices. First, you’ll be able to add it into an oven-safe dish with extra breadcrumbs and Pecorino Romano cheese on prime and warmth it below the grill till it’s scorching. Or, for a faster manner is to reheat it lined within the microwave till scorching.
An aged feta cheese or much more Pecorino Romano can be utilized as substitutes.
Whereas cherry tomatoes are beneficial for his or her sweetness, you might use different small tomatoes like datterini or grape tomatoes. If utilizing bigger tomatoes, be certain that to chop them into smaller items to make sure they roast evenly.
You should use any oven-safe dish for roasting the tomatoes, however a ceramic or glass baking dish is preferable. These supplies don’t conduct warmth as rapidly as metallic, permitting for extra even roasting.
Sure, use your favourite gluten-free pasta and guarantee your breadcrumbs are additionally gluten-free.
Sure, this dish may be made vegan by omitting the cheeses or changing them with vegan options.
Extra tomato pasta recipes to strive
In case you make this roasted cherry tomato pasta recipe I’d love to listen to the way it seems and in the event you appreciated it. Please go away a remark right here on the weblog or on The Pasta Project Facebook page. Trying ahead to listening to from you.
Roasted Cherry Tomato Orecchiette Pasta
This tasty Italian pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes is the best dish for summer season. It is filled with candy and refreshing flavors typical of the season, and the very best half? It solely takes 45 minutes to arrange.
- 14 oz orecchiette do-it-yourself or contemporary is best
- 35 cherry tomatoes lower in half (I used purple & yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 handful contemporary basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 oz pecorino Romano grated
- 2 oz ricotta salata grated
- salt for pasta and to style
- pepper to style
- 3-4 tbsp additional virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
In an oven-safe dish, mix the onion, garlic, some basil leaves, oregano, and tomatoes (with the lower facet up).
Drizzle the mixed substances with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to style. Sprinkle the tomatoes with breadcrumbs and grated Pecorino Romano.
Place the cherry tomatoes within the preheated oven at 355°F (180°C) and roast for about half-hour.
Whereas the tomatoes are roasting, carry a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt as soon as the water begins to boil, then let the water return to a boil. Prepare dinner the pasta within the boiling salted water till it’s al dente, following the package deal directions for timing.
As soon as the tomatoes are prepared, take away the garlic cloves from the oven dish. Switch the roasted tomatoes and pasta to a giant baking dish or serving dish.
Combine all of the substances collectively properly within the dish. Serve with a sprinkle of grated ricotta salata and a few further chopped basil leaves.
- You should use various kinds of pasta for this recipe. Though orecchiette is conventional, you’ll be able to experiment with different shapes like penne, intrecci or in keeping with what you’ve available or favor.
- Remember the fact that Pecorino Romano cheese is usually made with animal rennet, which suggests it’s not appropriate for vegetarians. In case you’re serving this dish to vegetarians, you’ll be able to substitute Pecorino with a vegetarian parmesan.
- This dish is ideal to eat proper after you make it. However if in case you have leftovers, you’ll be able to retailer them in a sealed container within the fridge for as much as three days.
- There are two good choices for reheating leftovers. One conventional manner is so as to add the pasta into an oven-safe dish with extra breadcrumbs and Pecorino Romano cheese on prime and warmth it below the grill till scorching. A fast technique is to reheat it lined within the microwave till scorching.
Energy: 636kcalCarbohydrates: 94gProtein: 23gFats: 19gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 10gLdl cholesterol: 22mgSodium: 305mgPotassium: 660mgFiber: 6gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 1017IUVitamin C: 37mgCalcium: 265mgIron: 4mg
Pin for Later:
In case you are considering studying methods to make various kinds of do-it-yourself pasta and various kinds of gnocchi, take a look at my store web page for some nice video on-line programs from my associates in Rome! Nothing beats studying to make pasta from Italians!
Plus whilst you’re there why not order a duplicate of one among my pasta recipe cookbooks or checkout some beneficial pasta making instruments? All nice prezzies for pasta lovers!