My Salisbury Steak Recipe is 100% from-scratch with no pre-made gravies or ketchup. It takes simply 35 minutes to make and freezes superbly! Recipe features a how-to video!
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Coming at you at the moment with some basic consolation meals! My salisbury steak recipe is an extremely flavorful dish made solely from scratch with none ketchup or soup/gravy mixes. The steaks are fashioned out of floor meat, breadcrumbs, and plenty of flavorings and seared earlier than ending in a strong gravy (made with or with out mushrooms!). This recipe is straightforward, satisfying, quick, and it feeds the entire household…my favourite sort of weeknight dinner!
Similar to with my sloppy Joe recipe, as a substitute of utilizing ketchup for flavoring, we primarily make our personal utilizing tomato paste, sugar, and vinegar. This offers us most management over the dish and eliminates any preservatives or undesirable components.
Why attempt my salisbury steak recipe:
- Pairs effectively with just about any facet–I’ve included my favorites under!
- Makes an awesome freezer meal (like my beef ragu).
- 100% from-scratch and tremendous flavorful.
- Prepared in simply 35 minutes!
What You Want
Let’s speak about a couple of of these components up there earlier than we get began with the recipe:
- Floor beef. Sure, floor beef! Salisbury steaks aren’t constructed from entire muscle steaks however as a substitute use floor beef. Don’t fear although, we will likely be seasoning our beef with numerous spices and sauces to ensure it’s further flavorful. Use whichever proportion you favor; I usually use 93% lean.
- Mushrooms. I personally don’t love mushrooms, however my husband insists that they belong in any good salisbury steak recipe, so I included them right here. In the event you aren’t a fan both, you’ll be able to completely go away them out with no different modifications wanted.
- Panko. Use plain (unseasoned) panko breadcrumbs. Gluten-free or common will work equally effectively. Generally I substitute panko for selfmade sourdough breadcrumbs.
- Egg. An egg is necessary for binding the steaks collectively, it serves like a glue that retains them from falling aside when you’re cooking.
- Worcestershire sauce. In the event you don’t wish to or can’t use Worcestershire sauce, you’ll be able to substitute coconut aminos.
- Stone floor mustard. When you have dijon, this can work too. Don’t use common yellow mustard, which has a wholly totally different taste profile.
SAM’S TIP: As with my meatball recipe, we have to be cautious to not over-mix the meat combination right here. Over-mixing will lead to robust salisbury steaks, so simply gently work the whole lot collectively till mixed, then cease.
That is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
The right way to Make Salisbury Steak
Make the steaks
- Combine the meat with all components beneath the “steaks” part till simply mixed.
- Kind into 4 steaks which can be about ½″ thick.
- Sear the steaks in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium excessive warmth till effectively browned on either side.
- Take away to a plate and let relaxation when you put together your gravy.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t overcrowd the meat when searing, or you might find yourself steaming it as a substitute of searing it. If this occurs, the meat will look gray as a substitute of brown and received’t be as flavorful.
Make the gravy
- Soften the butter in your sizzling pan and scrape up any brown bits on the underside of the pan because it cooks.
- Toss within the onions and cook dinner till softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook dinner till golden brown.
- Sprinkle flour over the combination and stir/cook dinner till it’s absorbed, then cook dinner for one more 30 seconds or so till toasted.
- Stir within the tomato paste and seasonings and cook dinner till the tomato paste begins to brown.
- Slowly drizzle within the broth whereas stirring and scraping the pan.
- Add the steaks to the gravy and cook dinner till carried out. The gravy will thicken throughout this time.
- Serve salisbury steaks with numerous gravy and sides of your selecting (my options are under).
Incessantly Requested Questions
Sure! In the event you desire your salisbury steak with out mushrooms, merely go away them out and comply with the recipe as written. The dish will nonetheless be simply as flavorful this fashion.
This salisbury steak recipe freezes very effectively. Simply be sure to retailer in an hermetic, freezer-safe container and your steaks will likely be good for as much as 3 months.
Personally, if I’m planning to freeze this recipe, I usually wish to make salisbury steak meatballs as a substitute of steaks (it’s simply simpler for portioning and reheating!). In the event you’d love to do the identical, simply roll your meat combination into 1 ½ Tbsp-sized and sear them following directions in recipe.
What are a few of your favourite consolation meals dishes? Let me know within the feedback! 👇
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! In the event you do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 4 servings
Stop your display screen from going darkish
For the Steaks
In a big mixing bowl, mix all components from the “Steaks” part and use your palms to combine all of the components collectively till well-combined – don’t over-mix or flip the meat into paste.
1 lb floor beef, ⅓ cup plain panko breadcrumbs, 1 massive egg, 2 Tablespoons tomato paste, 2 Tablespoons coarse stone floor mustard, 2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce, 1 Tablespoon mild brown sugar, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon floor black pepper
Kind the combination into 4 steaks/rectangular patties about ½” thick (I usually make a small indent within the middle to assist the facilities cook dinner evenly). Put aside.
Add oil to a big skillet over medium-high warmth.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
As soon as oil is shimmering, sear the steaks within the pan, cooking till well- browned on either side. Take away to a plate and relaxation when you put together the gravy. Cut back pan warmth to medium (don’t clear it out, instantly begin making your gravy).
Add butter to the skillet and scrape the pan because it melts.
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
As soon as melted, add onion and cook dinner till softened.
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
Add mushrooms and cook dinner till golden.
1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
Sprinkle pan with flour and cook dinner, stirring, till flour is totally absorbed, then cook dinner one other 30 seconds (to flippantly toast the flour).
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Add tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and stir effectively, cooking no less than 1 minute till tomato paste loses its vibrant crimson colour.
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce, 1 Tablespoon tomato paste, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon floor black pepper, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Whereas stirring, slowly drizzle in beef broth till components are mixed (be sure to scrape the underside of the pan!).
2 cups beef broth
Return salisbury steaks to the pan and nestle into the gravy. Enable to cook dinner till steaks are cooked via (now not pink within the center/160F) and gravy is thickened.
2 cups of beef broth makes a variety of gravy, which we like, particularly if serving over mashed potatoes! In order for you much less gravy, scale back by ½ cup.
This meal freezes effectively. Retailer in an hermetic container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 26g | Fats: 34g | Saturated Fats: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 15g | Trans Fats: 2g | Ldl cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 1852mg | Potassium: 875mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 440IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 5mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.