How’s your summer season going? Final week, I took the youngsters to a party at a rustic membership, the place they determined they needed to leap off the excessive dive. Ever the supportive mom, I parked myself in a lounge chair to take movies. Nicely, one in all my children chickened out and didn’t need to bounce till MOM did.
So, decided to bottle my worry of heights, I reduce a gaggle of twerpy sixth graders in line—despite the fact that they towered over me—and climbed up the ladder, walked the plank, then hesitated two seconds earlier than leaping in and feeling the chilly water shoot by way of each crevice of my physique. It was superior.
Naturally, there’s a larger metaphor to be made right here about mustering all of your braveness and plunging into the unknown with each ft. However we are able to unpack that one other time. Let’s get into the Sunday hyperlinks!
• Despite the fact that I grew up in Nashville listening to Waylon and all of the basic nation greats, I’ve by no means actually been into nation music. That’s, till this summer season. I went by way of a Judds* section—as a result of, ladies—then I used to be launched to this banger and began carrying cutoff shorts with bathing swimsuit tops as shirts ‘trigger it simply felt proper. Subsequent, my buddy who works within the trade clued me into some critically high shelf music by Tyler Childers. And now I’m all nation on a regular basis. (YouTube)
*I don’t advocate making an attempt to sing this at karaoke evening. I’ve by no means bombed so exhausting. (However don’t you’re keen on the previous live performance footage with out everybody holding iPhones within the air?)
• Product rec: I gave this to a buddy for her birthday as a result of she’s at all times complimented how I smelled after we went in for a hug. I began carrying it years in the past after asking the store lady for her sexiest fragrance. Don’t gatekeep your magnificence secrets and techniques! (Sephora)
• Certainly one of my guide membership besties really helpful a Mel Robbins podcast episode, “The Let Them Theory,” which was super-relevant to my “bossy” character. She describes going from being a management freak to letting the present of what’s taking place take you in a unique path. Preach. (Apple Podcasts)
• What are you watching today? I blew by way of Am I Being Unreasonable, which is humorous and darkish in a Fleabag + I Hate Susie sort of manner. Plus, the feminine friendship carries on the Lifeless to Me vibe. (Hulu)
• Assume I’m going to look at The Perfect Find this weekend. Will report again. (Netflix)
• My oldest son is obsessive about Zelda and has been plugged into Tears of the Kingdom all summer season, which I by no means associated to till studying this brilliant essay from Amber Sparks. (The Audacity)
• When Pleasure gifted me this charming cherry necklace, I handed it all the way down to my daughter as a result of she loves it. She was over the moon and I really like this firm’s product descriptions + general mission. (Delicacies)
• I’m not a pet particular person — sorry, sorry — so I appreciated Anne Marie Tendler’s tribute to her pup, Petunia, as a result of it helped me empathize with all my buddies who’ve cats & canines. (Elle)
• Have you ever seen Previous Lives? It’s a surprising movie I’ve labored into each dialog this month. I couldn’t assist however Google Teo Yoo, who’s large on the Okay-drama circuit, and omg. (Twitter)
• I couldn’t click on on Jia Tolentino’s profile of Olivia Rodrigo quick sufficient. (Vogue)
• “As Bugs Bunny knew, gender is theater, no matter else it’s.” – the fabulous Alexander Chee on drag culture. (Harper’s Bazaar)
• The summer season studying checklist is my favourite put up of the 12 months, and yow will discover it right here. A couple of of these books aren’t launched but however you possibly can try final summer season’s since these are all out there at your native library. Glad studying! (Pleasure the Baker)
• Joan Didion’s writing has been hitting exhausting for me currently — okay, tremendous, she’s had this impact my whole life — and I hope you’ll pause right this moment to learn On Self-Respect. (Vogue)
• My home was experiencing a scorching canine hangover after the vacation weekend so I made Pleasure’s Straightforward Watermelon Feta and Cucumber Salad. Straightforward is the important thing phrase right here however, primarily, this salad at all times feels so crisp and recent when it’s 1,000,000 levels outdoors. (Pleasure the Baker)
• Lastly, the one one who can get me to learn 8,121 phrases on David Foster Wallace in 2023 is Patricia Lockwood. (London Evaluate of Books)