With a caramelized crust and loads of melty cheese, these is a restaurant-quality smash burger recipe! Simply 10 minutes to make on the range and features a easy burger sauce too!
Fast & Simple Smash Burger Recipe
Crispy edges and juicy insides, these smash burgers are straightforward to make and are available collectively in a FLASH! The burgers are cooked via (effectively achieved, no pink inside), however as a result of they’re so skinny, they keep flavorful, tender, and juicy.
What makes these burgers so good:
- Juicy & flavorful: searing the chilled meat in a scorching pan locks within the taste and the juices.
- Melty, creamy American cheese: a traditional alternative for any smash burger! However you possibly can all the time use one thing else like cheddar, pepper jack, and so on. I truthfully often avoid American cheese, however there’s one thing traditional about it’s creamy texture towards the burter.
- Simple 4-ingredient smash burger sauce: my favourite half! That is elective, however I extremely suggest including it (takes 30 seconds to make).
- Toasted buns: toasting the buns in butter provides one other unbelievable dimension of taste. Be at liberty to make use of my burger buns or potato buns right here.
- Limitless toppings: recent tomato, crisp lettuce, tangy pickles–go wild!
The most effective half about my smash burger recipe is that you simply don’t want a elaborate flat high grill or burger press. I merely use a flat forged iron skillet and a mixture of huge spatula and mallet to press my burgers. Belief me, they style superb this manner. Hooray for home made!
What You Want
My smash burger recipe is about so simple as you will get whereas nonetheless sustaining mouth-watering taste. Right here is every little thing you will have to make them:
- Floor beef. The magic of the smash burger (that crisp, caramelized crust) comes from the mixture of excessive warmth and the excessive fats content material of the burger. Due to this, smash burgers don’t work as effectively with a leaner floor beef, so intention for an 80-85% meat to fats ratio. Floor chuck would additionally work splendidly right here.
- Cheese. Whereas I’m usually a cheddar cheese lady, I believe processed American cheese is greatest on a smash burger. Be at liberty to make use of no matter kind of cheese you want right here although!
- Buns. Toasting the burger buns in butter on the skillet provides much more taste to this smash burger recipe. You’ll solely must prepare dinner the buns very briefly–they toast rapidly!
- Toppings. Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, bacon, or the entire above! I additionally love including caramelized onions; I’ll make a batch upfront and reheat once I’m able to serve. They’re sooooo good, and everybody go nuts for them!
- Sauce. My straightforward smash burger sauce combines mayo, ketchup, relish, and paprika. It’s elective, however I really feel that it’s what actually takes this smash burger recipe excessive (and it’s significantly better than simply ketchup and mustard)!
SAM’S TIP: A forged iron skillet or griddle is greatest for cooking the smash burgers, although a chrome steel pan may additionally work. Frivolously oil your pan earlier than utilizing and let it get HOT and smoking earlier than you prepare dinner your burgers. You’ll positively wish to flip in your stovetop kitchen fan whereas cooking!
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
Tips on how to Make a Smash Burger (and my customized sauce)
- Make the sauce. Whisk collectively the substances for the sauce till mixed. Cowl and refrigerate till you’re prepared to make use of.
- Prep the meat. I allot 4 oz (113g) per burger. Be very light and simply loosely type the meat into spherical balls. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the tops of every ball. Pop this within the fridge or freezer whilst you begin heating the pan.
- Frivolously oil a forged iron pan and warmth over medium-high warmth till smoking. It’s important that the pan be highly regarded/smoking. Add a ball of the chilled and seasoned floor beef to the pan, seasoned aspect down, then instantly press straight down till flat. You should use a burger press for this step, however I simply use a big spatula and mallet (pictured above).
- Cook dinner till a crust kinds (roughly 1 minute, don’t prepare dinner both aspect too lengthy otherwise you’ll make the burgers powerful). Whereas this cooks, I’ll sprinkle the floor of the patty with further salt and pepper. Subsequent, use a spatula to scrape up the burger and flip. Ensure you scrape that caramelized crust with the patty!
SAM’S TIP: Caramelization is the magic of a smash burger! It provides taste, retains the within juicy, and provides such a stunning texture. No matter you do, DON’T lose that crispy caramelization when flipping the burgers! Use your spatula to scrape as you go beneath the patty to you’ll want to you get each final little bit of that caramelization.
- Cook dinner the burger till achieved, about 45 seconds or so, earlier than transferring to a clear plate. When you’d like, you possibly can add a slice of cheese right here, too, so it’ll begin melting. I then switch the burger to a plate and canopy with foil to maintain heat.
- Toast the buns. Add butter to the recent pan, and, as soon as melted, flip off the pan and add your buns cut-side down. Cook dinner till the buns are heat and toasted (this takes solely seconds), then serve.
SAM’S TIP: When you smash the burgers, don’t re-smash! Additionally, resist the urge to peek beneath to examine for caramelization; doing this might truly damage any caramelization that has shaped.
Regularly Requested Questions
Some individuals recommending freezing the patties earlier than making the smash burgers. Whilst you do need the meat to be chilly, it shouldn’t be frozen. Holding the burgers within the freezer or fridge for a couple of minutes whilst you put together your pan will work positive.
Smash burgers originated in Kentucky and the title comes from the strategy of smashing chilly floor beef towards a highly regarded pan or griddle till it’s seared. This system creates skinny and juicy burgers with crispy, caramelized exteriors. Smash burgers are sometimes served with two patties on one bun since they’re thinner than conventional burgers.
Sometimes a smash burger is cooked right through, so there shouldn’t be any pink within the middle. It is because this kind of burger is cooked on the next warmth till caramelization happens.
So, if you’re cooking your burgers correctly, they seemingly is not going to have a pink middle–however that’s positive! They are going to have unbelievable taste and are designed to be this manner.
I do know this smash burger recipe is about so far as doable from my traditional cookies and desserts, however I critically can’t wait to listen to the way you prefer it!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s prepare dinner collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe under! When you do this recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
With a caramelized crust and loads of melty cheese, that is my restaurant-quality smash burger recipe! Simply 10 minutes to make on the range and features a easy burger sauce too!
Servings: 4 servings
Stop your display from going darkish
For the Sauce
Whisk collectively mayo, ketchup, relish, and smoked paprika till well-combined. Cowl and refrigerate till prepared to make use of for burgers.
¼ cup (60 g) mayonnaise, 1 Tablespoons (17 g) ketchup, 1 Tablespoons (20 g) candy relish, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
Put together the patties: Line a plate with wax paper. Divide beef into 4 equal (4oz/113g) items. Use your arms to loosely type every right into a spherical ball. Don’t overwork the meat, simply gently type it right into a ball.
1 lb (453 g) 80-85% floor beef
Season and chill: Place meatballs on a wax paper lined plate and sprinkle the tops with salt and pepper. Preserve chilly in fridge or freezer whilst you preheat your pan.
Salt and pepper
Put together the pan: Drizzle a teaspoon of oil over a forged iron pan and use a paper towel to smear it evenly over the floor. Flip warmth to medium-high and warmth till pan is smoking.
1 teaspoon cooking oil
Smash the burgers: Add a ball of meat to the pan. Instantly use your burger press or massive spatula to firmly press straight down on the burger and smash it flat (if utilizing a spatula, grip a mallet and use that that can assist you press into the burger, see photograph in put up for visible if wanted). If meat sticks to the press, you might place a sq. of parchment paper over it earlier than flattening.
Cook dinner for about 1 minute, till a crust has shaped on the burger (keep away from the temptation to re-squish the burger or flip it early!). Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper whereas it cooks.
Flip. Use spatula to scrape up the burger (you wish to you’ll want to scrape up all of the caramelized crust and never go away something behind), flip, and add a slice of cheese if desired. Cook dinner via (roughly 45 seconds longer). Switch burgers to a clear plate and canopy with foil whilst you toast the buns.
Toast the buns: Instantly add butter to the recent pan. As soon as melted, flip off pan and place burger buns cut-side down on the skillet and prepare dinner briefly, till heat and toasted on the underside.
1 Tablespoon salted butter, 4 burger buns
Assemble & get pleasure from: Unfold burger sauce onto toasted buns, high with burgers and any further desired toppings and luxuriate in instantly.
Getting ready upfront
Sauce might be ready as much as 5 days upfront, retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge. Burger balls could also be ready as much as 2 days upfront, cowl rightly with plastic wrap and retailer within the fridge.
Here’s a burger press you can buy, however personally I take advantage of a makeshift press. I press a big spatula straight down onto the meat and use a mallet to press into the spatula to press it even thinner.
In case your burgers are sticking to the spatula, place a sq. of parchment paper over the ball of meat earlier than urgent down. Take away parchment instantly after urgent.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 501kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 25g | Fats: 33g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 8g | Monounsaturated Fats: 11g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 461mg | Potassium: 404mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 223IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.