This glazed strawberry bread tastes like summer season in a loaf pan! It’s tender, moist, and chock-full of juicy berries. The cake-like crumb and creamy, dreamy vanilla icing make for a deal with that’s certain to fulfill your candy tooth. The recipe is fast and simple, and there’s no mixer required!
If you end up with an overabundance of contemporary strawberries (considered one of my very favourite issues to have!), and also you’re undecided methods to use all of them earlier than they go unhealthy… you may make this reader-favorite strawberry cake, however… possibly you don’t really feel like placing within the effort to make a layer cake. Belief me, I get that!
Enter this recipe for glazed strawberry bread: a fast bread with a young, cake-like crumb that’s bursting with contemporary strawberry and vanilla flavors. I initially revealed this recipe in 2014, and have made a pair changes based mostly on reader suggestions. The bread slices maintain form higher through the use of much less buttermilk, and the bread rises taller utilizing a barely smaller loaf pan and a mixture of baking powder AND soda. The recipe within the recipe card beneath displays these small tweaks.
Right here’s What You’ll Love About This Glazed Strawberry Bread
- Fast and simple to make—no mixer required
- Wonderful manner to make use of up leftover contemporary strawberries that didn’t make it into your strawberry shortcake
- Cake-like texture stays moist for days
- Additional dessert-like with a topping of creamy vanilla icing
- Make-ahead pleasant: this strawberry bread tastes even higher on day 2
- Freezes nicely, so make it when berries are in season and inventory your freezer, so you may get pleasure from that peak strawberry taste lengthy after their brief season ends!
Components You Want & Why
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the bottom of in the present day’s fast bread.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: My group and I examined this recipe a number of occasions with various ratios of those two leaveners, and the hands-down winner was the fastidiously measured mixture of each you’ll see within the recipe beneath.
- Salt: Taste enhancer/sweetness balancer—a baking recipe superhero!
- Egg: An egg supplies construction and binds all of the elements collectively.
- Sugar: Use a mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar to sweeten this cake-like bread.
- Buttermilk: This energy ingredient is what makes my chocolate cake so darn moist, and it serves the identical function on this strawberry bread. The lactic acid in buttermilk permits the baking soda to supply carbon dioxide. Don’t have buttermilk? Save your self a visit to the shop and see my recipe Be aware beneath for a DIY possibility.
- Oil: I want to make use of oil in my fast breads, like in lemon poppy seed bread and cinnamon swirl fast bread, due to the unparalleled moisture it supplies. Recently I’ve been making this strawberry bread with melted coconut oil, and it doesn’t make the bread style like coconut. However in the event you dislike coconut and may simply detect it in baked items, play it protected and use a impartial vegetable oil.
- Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste: I like the combo of strawberries + vanilla, like on this strawberry vanilla crisp. Pure vanilla extract works splendidly, however I like to make use of vanilla bean paste right here. You will discover it subsequent to the vanilla extract within the grocery retailer baking aisle, or you may order it online.
- Contemporary Strawberries: Chop the berries and gently toss them with slightly flour, to stop them from sinking to the underside. I don’t suggest utilizing frozen strawberries on this recipe, as a result of they will leak numerous moisture and switch the bread into mush with an unappetizing purplish hue! Save the frozen berries for smoothies and strawberry sauce.
A Fast Comparability
I need to present you a side-by-side comparability. When retesting this recipe, my group and I attempted it utilizing solely baking powder. The crumb seemed plush and lightweight, however the bread tasted very gummy and the flavour fell flat. Then we used a mixture of baking powder AND baking soda. The bread doesn’t rise fairly as a lot, nevertheless it develops a ravishing coloration and nearly caramelized-like taste. It was additionally moist and tender, with out tasting gummy. By way of style, the baking powder + soda combo was a transparent winner!
Tips on how to Make Strawberry Bread
The steps to place all of the elements collectively are as simple as 1, 2, 3:
- Whisk collectively the dry elements.
- Whisk collectively the moist elements.
- Mix the moist with the dry, and gently fold within the chopped strawberries.
I like to recommend baking this strawberry bread in a 1-lb. (8×4-inch) loaf pan like this one or this one. If all you’ve got is a 9×5-inch loaf pan, which is what you utilize for banana bread and pumpkin bread, you need to use it, however count on the bread to be slightly shorter.
Coating the chopped strawberries in flour helps forestall them from sinking within the bread:
Anticipate a creamy and thick fast bread batter with LOTS of strawberries:
The bread takes not less than an hour to bake. Start checking at 55 minutes, although, simply in case your oven works further exhausting!
Again in 2014 once I first revealed this recipe, the vanilla icing was an afterthought and but now I can’t think about the strawberry bread with out it! It soaks down into every slice, making the bread much more moist and tender… and it makes the highest of the bread soften in your mouth.
We’re utilizing my traditional vanilla icing recipe, solely halved to make simply sufficient for the bread (like this cinnamon swirl banana bread!). It’s tremendous easy. Seize some confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream or milk, and slightly vanilla extract/vanilla bean paste, and whisk all of it collectively.
Drizzle over the bread earlier than serving.
That is tremendous moist and tender strawberry bread, stuffed to the brim with contemporary summer season berries. I normally make the fast bread with melted coconut oil, however a impartial oil like vegetable oil works too. Drizzle the cooled bread with creamy vanilla icing.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease an 8×4-inch loaf pan like this one or this one with nonstick spray. Put aside.
- Make the bread: In a big bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt collectively till mixed. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and buttermilk collectively till mixed. Be sure there are not any brown sugar lumps remaining. Whisk within the oil and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the moist elements into the dry elements and gently whisk till there are not any extra lumps. Keep away from over-mixing. Gently fold within the strawberries. Pour/spoon batter into ready loaf pan.
- Bake for 55–70 minutes, ensuring to loosely cowl the bread with aluminum foil midway by means of to stop the highest from getting too brown. The bread is finished when a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear with just a few small moist crumbs. All ovens range, so start checking each 5 minutes across the 55-minute mark.
- Take away bread from the oven and permit the bread to chill within the pan set on a wire rack for 1 hour. Take away bread from the pan and place the loaf immediately on the wire rack to chill utterly.
- Make the icing: Whisk the icing elements collectively. (I normally use heavy cream, which guarantees a thick icing.) Drizzle over bread earlier than slicing.
- Cowl and retailer bread at room temperature for two days or within the fridge for as much as 1 week. Icing seeps into the highest of the strawberry bread over time, so count on the tops of the slices to change into slightly moist.
- Freezing Directions: It’s greatest to freeze this bread with out the icing, and ice the bread after thawing and earlier than serving. Freeze baked & cooled loaf for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge. If desired, convey to room temperature earlier than serving. To study extra particulars about methods to freeze fast breads, see my publish known as Make-Forward Baking.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 8×4-inch Loaf Pan (like this one or this one) | Glass Mixing Bowl | Whisk | Vanilla Bean Paste | Cooling Rack
- Replace in 2023: This recipe was initially revealed in 2014. Through the years, I made some refined enhancements to enhance the style and texture. The recipe used to name for 1 teaspoon of baking soda, however the baking powder + baking soda mixture above produces a better-tasting crumb. The recipe additionally used to name for 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk, however the bread was typically too moist.
- Can I take advantage of a 9×5-inch loaf pan? I like to recommend baking this strawberry bread in a 1-lb. (8×4-inch) loaf pan like this one or this one. If all you've got is a 9×5-inch loaf pan, you need to use it, however count on the bread to be slightly shorter/flatter. The bake time is about the identical.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is required for this recipe. You can also make your personal DIY model of buttermilk if wanted. Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add sufficient entire milk to the identical measuring cup till it reaches 3/4 cup. (In a pinch, lower-fat or nondairy milks work for this soured milk, however the bread gained’t style as wealthy and moist.) Stir it round and let sit for five minutes. The home made “buttermilk” will likely be considerably curdled and able to use within the recipe.
- Vanilla: I like utilizing vanilla bean paste within the bread and icing as a result of it combines each extract AND vanilla bean seeds. You may, after all, use pure vanilla extract as an alternative. If you need that further vanilla bean taste, be at liberty so as to add the seeds scraped from 1/4 of a vanilla bean within the bread batter, and use the seeds from one other 1/4 of the vanilla bean within the icing. (That is along with the liquid vanilla extract.)
- Can I Use Frozen Strawberries? I strongly suggest utilizing contemporary, as frozen or thawed berries produce a mushy bread. If it's essential use frozen, thaw and pat as dry as doable earlier than tossing in flour.
- Glazed Strawberry Muffins: Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C) and spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray, or line with cupcake liners. Put together batter as directed above. Fill every cupcake liner to the highest with batter and bake the muffins for five minutes at 425°F (218°C). Then, retaining the muffins within the oven, decrease the temperature to 350°F (177°C) and proceed to bake for a further 14–quarter-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. Prime with glaze. Makes about 12 muffins. You may additionally get pleasure from these chocolate-covered strawberry muffins or strawberry cheesecake muffins.
Key phrases: strawberry bread