A favourite spring and summer time dessert in hand-held type, these vanilla bean-speckled strawberry shortcake cupcakes are crammed with home made strawberry filling and topped with strawberry whipped cream—all made with actual strawberries. It’s like consuming strawberry shortcake, however as a buttery tender cupcake!
I’ve been on a stuffed cupcake kick! I like these chocolate-covered strawberry cupcakes for Valentine’s Day, and all the time take pleasure in hopping over to those coconut and chocolate Easter cupcakes… however as the times proceed to heat up, and recent strawberries come into season, I simply knew I needed to revisit this older recipe. These are my beloved strawberry shortcake cupcakes. I initially revealed them again in 2013!
3 Elements to Love in These Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Vanilla Bean Cupcakes: As an alternative of biscuits like traditional strawberry shortcake, the bottom of this summery deal with is a tender and lightweight vanilla cupcake, flavored with pure vanilla bean paste. My strawberry vanilla crisp additionally pairs strawberry + vanilla collectively—what a pleasant duo!
- Strawberry Filling: You’ll fill the cupcakes with a jam-like strawberry filling, which comes collectively simply on the range, similar to this raspberry cake filling.
- Strawberry Whipped Cream: No piping ideas wanted to prime these strawberry shortcake cupcakes! I’m giving home made whipped cream a berry increase by folding in a few of the reserved strawberry filling. It’s fast and simple to make, and so very tasty.
One reader, Vicki, commented: “I provided to make my neighbor cupcakes for her birthday and he or she requested one thing gentle and never too candy. This recipe appeared excellent and he or she stated they have been the perfect cupcakes she’s ever had in her life! I completely love the whipped topping and assume the leftover quantity can be nice on pancakes or waffles. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe! Will certainly make it once more! ★★★★★“
Make the Strawberry Filling First
Seize These Components:
- Recent Strawberries: You want about 2 cups (about 300–320g) of diced strawberries.
- Sugar: Use white granulated sugar to sweeten the berry filling.
- Cornstarch + Water: Cornstarch is the thickener for this filling. Combine along with water to make a “slurry” earlier than including to the saucepan. In any other case you’ll have lumps of powdery cornstarch in your strawberry filling—no thanks!
- Lemon Zest: After making a number of batches of those crowd-pleasing cupcakes, I made a decision so as to add slightly lemon zest to the filling. WOW. It actually, actually brightens up the flavour. I exploit it within the topping for this strawberry cream cheese pie, too.
The filling combination thickens on the range and is corresponding to a candy and thick home made strawberry jam with a couple of wonderful chunks of actual strawberry. It’s loads like this strawberry sauce topping, solely thicker as a result of we’re utilizing it inside cupcakes.
Make it first, so it has time to fully cool and arrange/thicken earlier than you want it to fill the cupcakes.
Subsequent, Make the Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
Right here’s What You Want & Why:
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the bottom of this cupcake batter.
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda: These leavening brokers give the cupcakes carry.
- Salt: Taste enhancer/sweetness balancer.
- Melted Butter: Utilizing melted butter as an alternative of softened butter means you don’t want a mixer to make these splendidly tender cupcakes. I additionally admire you can actually style that buttery taste, one thing you don’t all the time get in a cupcake recipe utilizing creamed butter or oil.
- Egg Whites: Utilizing simply the whites of the eggs makes for the lightest, fluffiest vanilla cake crumb… one thing you’ll additionally take pleasure in in my favourite white cake recipe.
- Bitter Cream: This retains the cupcakes moist. Plain yogurt works as a tremendous substitute.
- Milk: Entire milk makes for the perfect style and texture, however lower-fat or nondairy can work in a pinch.
- Vanilla Bean Paste: You might simply use vanilla extract if that’s all you will have, however I extremely suggest giving these cupcakes a taste improve with some pure vanilla bean paste. You may often discover it subsequent to the vanilla extract within the grocery retailer baking aisle, or you’ll be able to order it on-line.
Or in the event you occur to have a vanilla bean (an additional one leftover from making home made vanilla extract, maybe?), you’ll be able to scrape the seeds from half a bean, and add together with vanilla extract, similar to when making my common vanilla cupcakes. You can even add vanilla bean seeds to the whipped cream. See recipe Observe beneath.
The method for making these cupcakes is simple. Whisk collectively dry elements, whisk collectively moist elements, after which mix the 2.
You’ll have sufficient batter for 15 cupcakes, so line a regular 12-cup muffin pan after which a second one with 3 extra cupcake liners. Fill the liners simply 2/3 of the best way full. Don’t attempt to match all of the batter into 12 cups—the cupcakes will spill over the perimeters when baking, and also you’ll have a giant sloppy mess. (Apart from, in the event you serve a dozen cupcakes, nobody can have any concept there have been 3 additional cupcakes that one way or the other went lacking… that may be our little secret.)
Filling These Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
When your cupcakes and filling are each fully cool, it’s time to fill them. Earlier than you begin, put aside 1/2 cup of the filling to make use of within the strawberry whipped cream topping.
We’re utilizing the identical technique I exploit to fill these cream-filled chocolate cupcakes, and it’s a chunk of [short]cake.
With a pointy knife, minimize a circle within the cupcake and take away the middle, which will probably be roughly the form of a cone. Utilizing a small spoon, fill the center of the cupcake with as a lot cooled strawberry filling as you’ll be able to. (Normally between 1–2 teaspoons.) Slice/tear off the pointed tip of the cone-shaped piece of cupcake, and gently press the spherical piece again on prime of the filling.
It doesn’t need to look fairly, since you’ll prime the cupcakes with a fluffy cloud of strawberry whipped cream. I don’t suggest utilizing a piping bag/tip to fill the cupcakes, as a result of the filling is fairly thick and chunky.
Do-it-yourself Strawberry Whipped Cream
Now you’re within the house stretch! Of the three components to this recipe, making the strawberry whipped cream topping is the quickest and best. It’s much like my traditional home made whipped cream, however we’re folding within the reserved 1/2 cup of strawberry filling for slightly extra taste, coloration, and texture. I like the little chunks of strawberry hiding within the gentle pink whipped cream.
Pile the strawberry whipped cream on prime of the stuffed cupcakes, and, for a of completion, I like so as to add a few strawberry slices. You’ll LOVE these!
Can I Make These As a Cake?
Completely, and I have already got a separate recipe for strawberry shortcake cake. For a layer cake, use my white cake recipe, and as we speak’s strawberry filling. Fill the cooled cake layers with many of the strawberry filling, and avoid wasting to fold into the whipped cream. There’s loads of whipped cream for the outside of the layer cake.
Extra Favourite Strawberry Dessert Recipes
You’re 100% home made strawberry shortcake, however in cupcake type! Do-it-yourself strawberry filling joins vanilla bean cupcakes and berry-speckled whipped cream to create an epic deal with that’s completely match for spring and summertime. Put together the strawberry filling first so it has time to chill and thicken earlier than utilizing. Evaluation recipe Notes earlier than starting.
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- Make the strawberry filling first: Utilizing a fork, combine the cornstarch and water collectively in a small bowl till the cornstarch has dissolved—combination is thick. Heat the strawberries and sugar collectively in a small saucepan over medium warmth. Stir the combination because it cooks, and break up a few of the strawberries as you stir. Deliver it to a simmer. As soon as simmering, stir within the cornstarch combination. Enable to simmer for five minutes, stirring continually. After 5 minutes, take away from warmth, stir within the lemon zest, and funky fully. Combination thickens because it cools. (It should fully cool, so transferring to a bowl out of the saucepan helps velocity that up, as does refrigerating it. You may full a couple of different steps within the recipe because the combination cools.)
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipe yields about 15 cupcakes, so line a second muffin pan with 3 cupcake liners, or bake in batches.
- In a big bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt collectively. Put aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar collectively. Combination will probably be gritty. Whisk within the egg whites, bitter cream, milk, and vanilla bean paste/extract till mixed.
- Pour the moist elements into the dry elements and whisk till the batter is totally mixed. Batter must be creamy and largely clean; a couple of small lumps are OK.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners, filling solely 2/3 full to keep away from spilling over the perimeters. You need to have sufficient batter for 15 cupcakes.
- Bake for 20–22 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear.
- Take away cupcakes from the oven and permit them to chill within the pan for 10 minutes, after which switch to a wire rack to chill fully. Cupcakes should be fully cooled earlier than filling and topping.
- Fill the cupcakes: First, put aside 1/2 cup of the filling for the whipped cream topping. Utilizing a pointy knife, minimize a circle into the middle of the cooled cupcakes to create slightly pocket about 1 inch deep. The piece you eliminated will probably be kind of cone-shaped. Spoon a few of the cooled and thickened strawberry filling inside every carved-out cupcake—use nevertheless a lot will match. (I exploit a teaspoon for this. Normally you’ll be able to match between 1–2 teaspoons of filling in every.) Slice/tear off the sharp finish of the “cone” piece of cupcake you eliminated, and gently press the spherical piece again on prime of the filling.
- Make the whipped cream: Utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla bean paste/extract on medium-high velocity till medium peaks type, about 3–4 minutes. Medium peaks are between tender/unfastened peaks and stiff peaks, and are the proper consistency for topping and piping on desserts. Should you by accident over-whip the cream, and it seems curdled and heavy, pour in slightly bit extra chilly heavy cream, and fold it in gently by hand with a spatula till it smooths out. Fold within the reserved 1/2 cup of strawberry filling. Use instantly or cowl tightly and chill within the fridge for as much as 24 hours.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. I used an icing spatula, however a knife works simply tremendous. I pile the whipped cream on actually excessive as pictured, and you’ll definitely do the identical! You’ll have some leftover in the event you don’t use as a lot on every cupcake. Garnish cupcakes with sliced strawberries and/or recent mint.
- Serve instantly or retailer within the fridge till able to serve. Cowl and retailer leftover cupcakes within the fridge for as much as 5 days. I like to recommend a cupcake carrier for storing and transporting embellished cupcakes.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Bake the cupcakes 1 day prematurely. Hold cupcakes lined tightly at room temperature and fill/frost the day of serving. You may make the strawberry filling and retailer it lined within the fridge for as much as 2–3 days earlier than utilizing. Likewise, you can also make the strawberry whipped cream and retailer it lined within the fridge for as much as 1 day earlier than utilizing. Unfrosted, unfilled cupcakes will be frozen as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and produce to room temperature earlier than assembling and serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): USA Pan Cupcake Pan or Wilton Cupcake Pan | Cupcake Liners | Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Small Icing Spatula | Cupcake Carrier
- Replace in 2023: This recipe was initially revealed in 2013. Over time, I made some delicate enhancements. The filling used to name for 1/2 cup (100g) of sugar, and I discovered it was just too candy. I additionally added lemon zest to the filling, to assist brighten up the flavour. The cupcakes now use 1 teaspoon of baking powder, as an alternative of 1/2 teaspoon. They rise slightly taller and style a bit fluffier now.
- Can I Use Frozen Strawberries? Frozen strawberries work in a pinch, however the filling holds MUCH higher form when utilizing recent strawberries. I strongly suggest utilizing recent. If utilizing frozen, thaw and pat dry earlier than beginning.
- Egg Whites: It’s greatest to make use of solely egg whites on this cupcake recipe as a result of they’ll make sure that the crumb just isn’t weighed down by the fats in egg yolks. If wanted, you should utilize 1 full egg as an alternative. Remember the feel of the cupcake will change.
- Bitter Cream & Entire Milk: Bitter cream and complete milk are strongly really helpful for the perfect style and texture. A full-fat plain yogurt would work as an alternative of bitter cream, although the cupcakes might not be as gentle. Identical goes with a lower-fat milk (I don’t suggest nonfat). Nondairy milk works in a pinch. You may substitute each the entire milk and bitter cream with buttermilk (1 cup/240ml) if wanted.
- Vanilla: I like utilizing vanilla bean paste within the cupcakes and whipped cream as a result of it combines each extract AND vanilla bean seeds. You may, after all use pure vanilla extract as an alternative. If utilizing vanilla extract, and if you would like that additional vanilla bean taste, be happy so as to add the seeds scraped from 1/2 of a vanilla bean within the cupcake batter, and use the seeds from the opposite half of the vanilla bean within the whipped cream. (That is along with the liquid vanilla extract.)
- Can I Make This Right into a Cake? Completely, and I have already got a separate recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Cake. For a layer cake, use my white cake recipe, and as we speak’s strawberry filling. Fill the cooled cake layers with many of the strawberry filling, and avoid wasting to fold into the whipped cream. There’s loads of whipped cream for the outside of the layer cake.
- Be sure you try my 10 ideas for baking the BEST cupcakes earlier than you start.
Key phrases: strawberry shortcake cupcakes