This recipe for wholesome blueberry banana muffins has lived on my web site since 2013. I’ve made just a few adjustments to the unique recipe, and might guarantee you they’re higher than ever! They’re splendidly healthful and tender, and are fast and simple to make and not using a mixer. Each chew is stuffed with juicy blueberries and candy banana taste, and you need to use nondairy milk to maintain the muffins dairy free.
On the subject of muffins, do you have got a favourite taste? There are such a lot of totally different varieties on the market, from egg muffins to chocolate muffins, that it’s just about not possible to decide on. It’s a part of the rationale I developed this muffin recipe as a base batter for infinite flavors! But when banana muffins and blueberry muffins are each in your Prime 5, let me let you know…
Why You’ll Love These Wholesome Blueberry Banana Muffins
Massive, sugary dessert-like muffins are an exquisite deal with (taking a look at you, pumpkin crumb cake muffins!) however a more healthy muffin that’s additionally simple to make and fabulously scrumptious is the kind I select on a weekly foundation. At present’s recipe is a favourite kid-friendly baking recipe (simple to combine & fast to bake), and so they freeze splendidly.
On the identical observe, every time a reader asks me for kid-friendly recipes which are additionally on the more healthy finish of the baked items spectrum, I all the time recommend muffins. Muffins are fast, manageable, transportable, acceptable for breakfast and snack time, and normally require little or no clean-up.
These blueberry banana muffins match the invoice. They’re simply candy sufficient so youngsters gobble them up, however are made with better-for-you substances like entire wheat flour, coconut oil, and bananas.
Key Components You Want & Why:
- Flour: I recommend utilizing white-whole wheat flour or a mixture of all-purpose and entire wheat flour (I normally use a cup of every). If you happen to use ALL entire wheat flour, anticipate a denser texture.
- Mashed Banana: Banana naturally sweetens the muffins. Identical to if you’re making banana bread, it’s finest to make use of tremendous brown, speckled bananas—the riper, the higher. You should utilize frozen and thawed bananas, too. See Methods to Freeze & Thaw Bananas for Baking for some suggestions.
- Brown Sugar: The style and texture advantages from somewhat brown sugar. If you wish to skip all refined sugars, you possibly can substitute coconut sugar.
- Honey or Pure Maple Syrup: Honey or maple syrup finally ends up the job of sweetening these muffins, and provides some moisture as effectively.
- Coconut Oil: As an alternative of butter or vegetable oil, use melted coconut oil. You may all the time depend on oil to maintain your baked items moist, particularly after they’re made with drying substances like entire wheat flour.
- Egg: The egg acts as a binder for the substances, and likewise helps maintain the muffins tender.
- Milk: You should utilize any type of milk, dairy or nondairy, you have got readily available. I normally use almond or oat milk to make these muffins.
- Blueberries: Can’t have blueberry banana muffins with out blueberries! You should utilize both recent or frozen berries right here. If utilizing frozen, don’t thaw.
You additionally want these baking fundamentals: baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract.
Don’t like banana? Attempt these blueberry oatmeal muffins as an alternative.
At present’s muffin batter comes collectively in simply minutes with easy kitchen instruments: a pair mixing bowls, a whisk, a spatula, and a muffin pan. (If you happen to want a suggestion, this muffin pan and this muffin pan have each held up effectively with very common use.)
Anticipate a thick batter. As with ALL muffin recipes, don’t over-mix it! Solely combine the batter till the moist and dry substances are *simply mixed* and no extra flour pockets stay. Over-mixing your batter will activate the gluten within the flour and overdevelop it, deflating the air bubbles within the course of. This ends in a tricky, laborious, dense muffin—not tender and fluffy like you might be aiming for.
Let’s not neglect these blueberries. Add a heaping cup (extra like a cup and 1 / 4) of recent or frozen blueberries to the batter. If you happen to’re utilizing frozen blueberries, don’t allow them to thaw, or else you should have some muddy-purple muffins that look a bit much less interesting! Fold them in gently with a spatula, in order that they’re evenly distributed within the batter.
I really like sprinkling the tops of the muffins with somewhat coarse sugar earlier than baking, a of entirety I all the time add when making these wholesome apple muffins, too.
3 Useful Suggestions
- Anticipate a semi-thick batter. Thick batter helps make sure the muffins elevate UP fairly than unfold OUT.
- Add an non-obligatory coarse sugar topping. You should utilize coconut sugar, one thing like Sugar within the Uncooked, or glowing coarse sugar (normally bought as sprinkles). Or don’t add something in any respect, the muffins are a lot scrumptious and not using a topping!
- Bake at an initially excessive oven temperature. Bake the muffins for five minutes in a extremely popular oven. Then, holding the muffins within the oven, decrease the oven temperature. This preliminary excessive oven temperature rapidly lifts up the muffin high. As soon as the temperature is lowered, the facilities of the muffins bake. I do that in all my muffin recipes.
Are These Blueberry Banana Muffins Wholesome?
I’d say these are a healthy-ish muffin. Like my flourless peanut butter oatmeal cookies, they’re made with some more healthy options to conventional baking substances, however nonetheless embody sugar. On the subject of labeling recipes as wholesome, use the perfect judgment for YOU.
I Have Loads of More healthy Muffin Recipes:
These are tender and moist blueberry banana muffins made with just a few more healthy substances like entire wheat flour, mashed bananas, coconut oil as an alternative of butter, and somewhat honey. See Notes for freezing directions and how you can make mini muffins.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. (If you happen to want a suggestion, this muffin pan and this muffin pan have each held up effectively with very common use.) Put aside.
- In a big bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt collectively. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. As soon as mashed, whisk within the brown sugar, honey/maple syrup, coconut oil, egg, vanilla, and milk till mixed.
- Pour the moist substances into the dry substances and whisk till all the pieces is simply mixed. Fold within the blueberries. Anticipate a semi-thick batter. Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups, filling all of them the best way to the highest.
- Bake for five minutes at 425°F (218°C); then, holding the muffins within the oven, scale back warmth to 350°F (177°C) and proceed baking for one more 15–18 minutes or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. The full time these muffins take within the oven is about 20–23 minutes, give or take. (For mini or jumbo muffins, see Notes for baking directions.)
- Permit the muffins to chill for five minutes within the muffin pan, after which switch to a wire rack to proceed cooling.
- Muffins keep recent lined at room temperature for just a few days, or within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing Directions: For longer storage, freeze the muffins in a freezer-friendly container or bag for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then heat up within the microwave if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 12-Depend Muffin Pan (like this one or this one) | Cupcake Liners | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Rubber Spatula | Cooling Rack
- Why the preliminary excessive oven temperature? Like I like to recommend for many muffin recipes, bake the muffins for five minutes at a extremely popular temperature. Then, holding the muffins within the oven, change to a decrease temperature for the remaining bake time. This preliminary excessive temperature will rapidly elevate the muffin tops in order that they’re further excessive, then the facilities will bake through the decrease temperature bake time. This trick makes lovely bakery-style muffins each time.
- Milk: You should utilize any milk, dairy or nondairy.
- For a jumbo muffin pan: 425°F for five minutes, then scale back to 350°F for 22–25 minutes for a complete of 27–half-hour. Makes about 6. For mini muffins: 350°F (entire time) for 12–14 minutes. Makes about 36–40.
- Loaf Pan: I haven’t personally examined it this recipe as a loaf, however the quantity of batter is sufficient for a 9×5-inch loaf pan. I’m not sure of the perfect bake time, however you possibly can comply with this zucchini bread recipe as a information.
- Up to date in 2023: I made a pair small updates to the recipe, so the muffins are extra moist and flavorful. To make the previous model, omit the baking powder, vanilla, and coconut oil. Add 1/4 cup (60g) Greek yogurt and one other 1/2 cup (about 63g) of flour.
- Serving Measurement: 1 muffin
- Energy: 195
- Sugar: 17.7 g
- Sodium: 171.4 mg
- Fats: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 15.5 mg
Key phrases: blueberry banana muffins